The menopause occurs when a woman’s menstruation reduces and stops. It is sometimes called "the change".
Menopause usually happens between the ages of 45 and 55. Hormonal changes cause you to stop having periods. The amount of the hormones( oestrogen and progesterone) your ovaries produce at this time drops significantly.
Common issues with the menopause
In the run-up to the menopause, periods become very erratic, and sometimes heavy. Your periods will usually not stop suddenly, but become less frequent and then stop gradually. The menopause also sometimes aggravates osteoporosis when bone mass is lost because of the reduced levels of some hormones.
Menopausal women often experience:
- Hot flushes
- Night sweats and sleeplessness
- Vaginal dryness
- Urinary tract infection
- Headache and joint pain
- Reduced sex drive
We can help you get through the menopause
We offer treatment to make the menopause easier. HRT (hormone replacement therapy) replaces your lost hormones to counteract the effects of the menopause.Your consultant can recommend the right type of HRT for you. The most common way to have HRT is by a daily tablet, but there are other ways:
- A skin patch applied to the skin
- A small pellet or implant under the skin
- Gel medication applied to the skin
- Nasal spray
Benefits of HRT:
- Relief from hot flushes and night sweats
- Help in maintaining muscle tone
- Reduction of any incontinence problems
- Reduced mood swings
- Reduced risk of osteoporosis – oestrogen in the HRT stimulates bone building
Not all HRT treatment will suit everyone. It’s important to discuss all aspects with your consultant to decide what’s best for you.