Our cardiac rehabilitation team is here to support you in your recovery from a cardiac event or procedure. Our expert nurses, physiotherapists and rehabilitation specialists will help you know how to best look after your heart health for the future. We aim to help you improve your fitness, wellbeing and quality of life.
When cardiac rehabilitation is recommended
Cardiac rehabilitation is recommended following any of the following cardiac events or procedures:
- Heart attack
- Coronary angioplasty (stent insertion)
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery
- Heart valve surgery
- Insertion of an implanted cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) or resynchronization device (CRT)
- Heart failure
- Stable angina
- Peripheral arterial disease
If you have an inpatient stay with us at Nuffield Health at St. Bartholomew’s, you will meet one of our team during your stay. We will also contact you soon after discharge to support your early recovery. We’ll invite you to join our cardiac rehabilitation programme, or offer to refer you to a service local to you.
What to expect from our cardiac rehabilitation programme
Our 8-week cardiac rehabilitation programme includes:
- Physical assessment
- Fitness capacity test
- Complementary access to our Nuffield Health Barbican Fitness and Wellbeing Centre for the duration of your programme
- Subsidised Fitness and Wellbeing membership rates on completion of your rehabilitation programme
- 2 weekly supervised exercise sessions with our clinicians
- Tailored plan for creating your healthy lifestyle
Your journey begins with a comprehensive assessment of your heart health including a physical assessment and fitness capacity test. We will work with you to identify and prioritise any lifestyle changes you wish to make. You will have complimentary access to the gym facilities at Nuffield Health’s state-of-the-art Barbican Fitness and Wellbeing Centre. Here you will be offered twice weekly exercise sessions under the supervision of our expert clinicians. Your exercise programme will be bespoke, at the right level for you and designed to help you reach your goals. We will help you gain not just fitness but confidence in knowing how to keep active safely.
Our heart health information sessions will give you the information you need to make healthy lifestyle choices which can help reduce your risk of further heart problems. Topics include heart disease and treatments, risk factors for coronary heart disease, healthy eating, exercise and physical activity, and emotional wellbeing and stress management.
On completion of your cardiac rehabilitation programme
On completion of your cardiac rehabilitation programme you will have the opportunity to join a weekly cardiac rehabilitation exercise group at the Barbican Fitness and Wellbeing Centre or be referred to a group local to you, so you can continue your fitness journey. Many people find it helpful to meet others who have been through similar experiences to themselves and find the ongoing peer support invaluable.
If you have any questions about our cardiac rehabilitation programme either for yourself or for a loved one, please don’t hesitate to contact us by using the form below.
Our rehabilitation programme is provided without charge for those receiving their cardiac care at Nuffield Health. If you're receiving your care elsewhere and wish to explore access to our rehabilitation programmes please do get in touch. Our self-pay prices are:
- Comprehensive initial assessment (A consultation lasting 120 minutes with a specialist nurse and a physiotherapist): £210
- An 8-week small group cardiac rehabilitation programme: £760
- An 8-week bespoke 1:1 cardiac rehabilitation programme: £1,800