Rezum for benign prostatic hyperplasia in Chichester
Rezūm is a treatment for BPH. It uses the stored thermal energy in water vapor (steam) to treat the extra prostate tissue that is causing symptoms such as frequency, urgency, irregular flow, weak stream, straining and getting up at night to urinate. Read more…
Contact our Chichester Hospital
Fill in the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
78 Broyle Road, Chichester, PO19 6WB
Who is Rezūm suitable for?
The Rezūm System is intended to relieve the symptoms of obstruction and prostate tissue associated with BPH and is indicated for men with prostatic urethra lengths >2 .0 cm and prostate volumes >20 cm3. The Rezūm System also is indicated for treatment of prostates with a median lobe or elevated central zone tissue.
Benefits of the procedure
- Potential alternative to BPH medications
- Relieves symptoms safely and effectively
- Provides noticeable symptom improvement within two weeks
- Simple in-office/out-patient therapy
- Does not require general anesthesia
- Preserves sexual and urinary functions
- Allows patients to return to regular activities within a few days
What does the procedure involve?
This system consists of a portable radiofrequency (RF) generator and delivery device that is introduced into the body via the urethra (transurethral approach) and guided by direct visualisation through a telescopic lens placed within the delivery device.
- The actual procedure takes only minutes; however, plan on spending approximately 2 hours for the entire appointment.
- You will receive pain medication prescribed by your Consultant for the procedure.
- Plan to have a driver for your appointment unless your Consultant tells you that you can drive yourself home.
Preparing for the procedure
- Your Consultant may stop anticoagulants, or blood thinners, a few days to a week prior to your procedure.
- Antibiotics may be prescribed.
- Your Consultant will discuss any pain medications that will be used.
- After your procedure, continue oral antibiotics for 3 to 5 days as prescribed by your Consultant.
- Your Consultant may recommend a catheter for a few days to ease urination during healing.
- Avoid activities that may irritate your prostate. Speak to your Consultant for specific recommendations.
Within a few days, you will be able to resume normal activities and will experience noticeable symptom improvement in as soon as two weeks.
If you experience discomfort:
- Take a mild pain medication, as recommended by your Consultant.
- Try a warm bath or sitting on a hot water bottle.
- Consider temporarily removing caffeine, chocolate, and alcohol from your diet.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital.
Booking a consultation to see one of our specialist consultants is easy. If you would like to discuss your concerns with a specialist, please give us a call on 01243 530600 or fill out a contact form below and we will get back to you at a more convenient time.