Mr Veeranna Shatkar is a Consultant General Surgeon at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital specialising in general surgery, emergency surgery, colorectal surgery and endoscopy. His main interests are: Appendicectomy, hernia, haemorrhoids, anal fissure, fistula, investigations of change in bowel habits, rectal bleeding; abdomen pain, endoscopy, gastroscopy, colonoscopy, polypectomy, gall bladder surgery, laparoscopy, sebaceous cysts; ingrowing toe nail excision, pilonidal sinus, lumps and bumps, lipoma.
Mr Shatkar is a General Surgeon with an interest in Emergency General Surgery, Colorectal Surgery and GI Endoscopy. He graduated in 1997 and pursued higher surgical training in general surgery. He submitted the dissertation on “A clinical study of peritonitis in surgical practice” and gained a Master of Science degree. He passed the Fellowship of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons (FRCS) in General Surgery in 2012 from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Mr Shatkar is a substantive Consultant at Barking, Havering & Redbridge NHS Trust and is the clinical lead for Emergency General Surgery where he has led the development of the surgical hot clinic and surgical assessment unit. He has a keen interest in developing the patient pathways and general surgery services at the Barking, Havering & Redbridge NHS Trust.
Mr Shatkar is also the lead for Barking, Havering & Redbridge NHS Trust School of Surgery and has been involved in recruitment and the training programme of junior doctors at the trust. He is a keen teacher and trainer.
Appendicectomy, hernia, haemorrhoids, anal fissure, fistula, investigations of change in bowel habits, rectal bleeding, abdomen pain, endoscopy, gastroscopy, colonoscopy, polypectomy, gall bladder surgery, laparoscopy, sebaceous cysts, ingrown toe nail excision, pilonidal sinus, lumps and bumps, lipoma.
I am a big cricket fan and play cricket and tennis.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Veeranna Shatkar at Nuffield Health
- CT scan (or CAT scan)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Rectal examination under anaesthetic (or rectal EUA)
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
- Colorectal surgery
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Hernia repair surgery
- Ingrown toenail (and ingrown toenail surgery)
- Rectal prolapse repair
‘A clinical study of peritonitis in surgical practice’ Jan 2001 - Nov 2003; Awarded Master of Science in General Surgery by the university after the submission of thesis.
- (Collaborator) STARSurg group Collaborative group. Multicentre prospective cohort study of body mass index and postoperative complications following gastrointestinal surgery; British Journal of Surgery 2016 Aug Volume 103, issue 9: 1157-1172
- Local lead collaborator for National Small Bowel Audit (NASBO): Published in BMJ (Oct 2017).
- Is Ultrasound a reliable diagnostic tool for acute appendicitis? A Single Centre Study. Veeranna Shatkar. Annali Italiani Di Chirurgia 2017;6 pii 000:S3469X1702752X )
- Collaborator: Surgical site infection after gastrointestinal surgery in high- income, middle-income, and low-income countries: a prospective, International, multicentre cohort study (GlobalSurg Collaborative). Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 May;18(5):516-525. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(18)30101-4. Epub 2018 Feb 13
- Open versus laparoscopic appendicectomy in acute appendicitis: results of a District General Hospital:
South African Journal of Surgery: Vol 56, No 2 (2018)
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
Other post held
- Consultant Surgeon and Clinical lead for Emergency surgery at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, Barking Havering & Redbridge NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Veeranna Shatkar works with
Mr Veeranna Shatkar works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Veeranna Shatkar does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Veeranna Shatkar does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Veeranna Shatkar does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.