Dr Pushpakaran Munuswamy is a leading Consultant Gastroenterologist at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital . He specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal disorders using endoscopic procedures, for conditions including dyspepsia, bowel cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome disease and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. As an accredited bowel cancer screening practitioner, Dr Munuswamy is also an expert in colonoscopy procedures, having performed over 5,000 colonoscopies with an adenomatous polyp detection rate double the national target.
Included in his main areas of expertise are also gastroscopy examinations, having performed more than 5,000 gastroscopies, as well as therapeutic procedures for the treatment of gastrointestinal bleeding, percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy, foreign body removal and variceal banding.
Dr Munuswamy undertook his gastroenterology and liver disease training in London at King’s College Hospital, on the South East rotation, acquiring in-depth expertise in complex, acute and chronic disorders of the digestive system. Dr Munuswamy later obtained a post graduate diploma in digital health leadership, NHS digital academy.
Dr Munuswamy is a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London. He is a member of the British Society of Gastroenterology and the clinical lead for artificial intelligence in gastroenterology, BSG task group.
Beyond his clinical practice, Dr Munuswamy is passionate about innovation, and went on to develop a highly commended modern design of a naso-gastric tube for feeding. He also maintains an interest in research that improves the management of gastrointestinal disorders and thus, collaborates at present in several national trials, including the CONSTRUCT study for acute colitis management. He has presented in national scientific meetings, NHS digital meetings and has published in peer-reviewed journals.
Dr Munuswamy has held several management roles and as chief clinical information officer introduced several digital innovations including electronic observations, e-prescribing and electronic records. He was clinical director for gastroenterology and currently is a department lead for gastroenterology.
Dr Munuswamy has received awards for his work include the BSG highly commended prize for service innovation and a finalist in HSJ awards.
Patient safety is integral to Dr Munuswamy’s practice. With a gentle and comprehensive approach to care, Dr Munuswamy involves and works together with his patients in the decision-making process of their treatment.
- Gastroenterology conditions, acid reflux, abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhoea, recurrent vomiting, swallowing difficulty, rectal bleeding.
- Liver disease evaluation
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth
- Pancreatic enzyme insufficiency
- Design innovation
- Computer programming and mobile applications
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Pushpakaran Munuswamy at Nuffield Health
- Colorectal screening
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Allergy testing
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Capsule endoscopy
- Dr Munuswamy has done research on Leptospirosis as part of his MD thesis.
- Currently involved in national study trials in treatment of colitis
- Undertaking study on CRP genetic polymorphisms in IBD patients
- He developed an innovated design in NG tube feeding which was recognised and awarded a highly commended prize by Health Enterprises East as part of the innovation competition in East of England.
- Royal College of Physicians (Lon)
- British Society of Gastroenterology
Other posts held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Clinical lead for artificial intelligence in gastroenterology, BSG task group
Insurers Dr Pushpakaran Munuswamy works with
Dr Pushpakaran Munuswamy works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Pushpakaran Munuswamy does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Pushpakaran Munuswamy does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Pushpakaran Munuswamy does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.