Mr Whitfield is a Consultant and Associate Professor in Neurosurgery. He is involved in treating conditions of the spine, the brain and other nerves. His post-graduate training was in Cambridge. He was appointed a Consultant in 2000, after 18 years training!
Slipped or bulging discs can pinch nerves. In the lower back this causes sciatica (leg pain). In the neck, arm pain or even spinal cord compression can occur. In some patients, "wear and tear" of the spine can trap nerves (spinal stenosis).
Peter has many years experience in treating patients with spinal problems: his interest began as a medical student. He regularly performs microsurgical operations on the lumbar spine and neck for these problems.
The success rates from spinal surgery are high, provided careful consideration of the suitability for each case is made.
His brain surgery interests include head injury and brain haemorrhage. He treats many patients with cerebral aneurysms, AVMs and brain tumours. Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) is a technique that is used to treat some patients with brain tumours. The Gamma Knife was the only SRS facility in the UK for many years. They started using LINAC SRS in the South West in 2005 and have treated several hundred cases. Mr Whitfield is currently the clinical lead for SRS. A new Novalis machine was installed in 2014.
He also undertakes surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome.
He undertakes medico-legal work as an expert witness for personal injury and medical negligence cases.
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Peter Whitfield at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar discectomy surgery
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Excision of spinal tumours
- Spinal (lumbar) Decompression
Mr Whitfield edited a textbook, Head Injury: a Multidisciplinary Approach and has written many scientific papers and book chapters.
- Society of British Neurological Surgeons
- British Association of Spinal Surgeons
Other post held
- Consultant Neurosurgeon, South West Neurosurgery Centre, Derriford Hospital
- Associate Professor at the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Secretary to the National Neurosurgery Selection Board
- Chairman Examination Board, European Examination in Neurosurgery
- Lead for Professionalism, Peninsula School of Medicine
Insurers Mr Peter Whitfield works with
Mr Peter Whitfield works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Peter Whitfield does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Peter Whitfield does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Peter Whitfield does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.