- Specialities Neuro-ophthalmology, Ophthalmology, Paediatric Ophthalmology
- Telephone 01912 125 214
- Year of first qualification 1991
- Email email@example.com
- GMC Number 3548341
- Fax 01912 811 379
Mr Shafiq is a Cambridge University graduate and completed medical school training at Oxford University Medical School in 1991. He started a career in Paediatrics and developed his interest in Ophthalmology and Paediatric Ophthalmology becoming a Consultant in 2001.
His specialisations are in adult cataract surgery, performing 450 operations per year, and in Paediatric conditions including paediatric cataract and eye problems from birth. Mr Shafiq sees many children and adults who have squint (strabismus) and operates on all ages to correct the alignment of eyes.
Mr Shafiq enjoys his work immensely and takes pride in his ability to establish a rapport with children, their parents and adults from all generations, and in his ability to communicate the nature of the eye problem and the plan for its treatment.
- Weekly Tuesday 17:30 - 20:00
- Weekly Friday 09:00 - 11:00
- Consultant Ophthalmologist, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle
- Cataract microsurgery
- Strabismus surgery
- General Ophthalmic problems
- Childrens eye conditions
Family, hockey and cycling
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Ophthalmology
- CE Willoughby, A Shafiq, et al, "CRYBB1 mutation associated with congenital cataract and microcornea", Molecular Vision, 11, 2005, 587-593
- Elliott S, Shafiq A., "Interventions for infantile esotropia", Cochrane Database Systematic Review, 1, 2005, CD004917
- Hallet, Willoughby, Shafiq, Kaye, Bolton-Maggs, "Pitfalls in the management of a child with mild Haemophilia A and a traumatic hyphaema", Haemophilia, 6, 2000,118-9
- F Skarmoutsos, S Sandhu, G Voros, A Shafiq, "The Use Of Optical Coherence Tomography in the Management of Cystoid Macular Edema in Paediatric Uveitis", Journal of AAPOS, 10, 2006,173-174
- K Jain, A Shafiq, J Deveny, G Robert, "Surgical Outcome for Removal of Subfoveal Choroidal Neovascular Membranes in Children", Retina, 22, 2002, 412-417
- Moutray T, Napier M, Shafiq A, Fryer A, Rankin S, Willoughby CE., "Monozygotic twins discordant for phacomatosis pigmentovascularis: evidence for the concept of twin spotting", American Journal of Medical Genetics, 3, 2010, 718-720
Mr Ayad Shafiq does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ayad Shafiq has the following interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital:
Mr Shafiq uses equipment owned by CESP (North East) LLP in which Mr Shafiq is a partner. CESP (North East) LLP wholly owns a 3D Optical Coherence Tomography, model 3DOCT - 1 Maestro. It is maintained and used exclusively by CESP (North East) LLP. Mr Nicholas Strong is the lead Consultant for this company.
Mr Ayad Shafiq does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.