What is a pimple?
Pimples start when the pores in your skin get clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Each pore is connected to a sebaceous gland, which produces an oily substance called sebum. Extra sebum can block pores, causing increased growth of bacteria known as Propionibacterium acnes. Your white blood cells attack this bacteria, leading to skin inflammation and acne. Some cases of acne are more severe than others, but common symptoms include whiteheads, blackheads, and pimples.
How to get rid of pimples in 5 minutes
You cannot remove a pimple completely in 5 minutes, but you can reduce the swelling and redness by following these steps:
- Make a honey and cinnamon mask - honey is an antibacterial and cinnamon is an antimicrobial, which means they both work to kill off the bacteria
- Use tea tree oil - tea tree is both antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, meaning that it will kill the bacteria as well as reduce any swelling and redness
- Apply ice - ice helps to reduce the swelling in the skin and the redness of the pimple, making it less obvious
- Exfoliate regularly - exfoliation will help to smooth the appearance of pimples, but it will also help to prevent new pimples by clearing dead skin cells that may otherwise block your pores
- Moisturise with aloe vera - the above can all dry out your skin so it's important to also use a moisturiser in your skincare routine. Aloe vera has antimicrobial properties, meaning that it will help to kill off the bacteria causing your spots.
How to get rid of blackheads
- Double cleanse twice a day - you need to keep your face clean from excess oil and dead skin cells to prevent and get rid of blackheads. Double cleansing helps you to make sure your skin is thoroughly clean
- Exfoliate twice a week - exfoliating regularly will help to clear the dead skin cells from your face and keep your pores clear
- Use clay masks - clay masks absorb oil and dead skin from cells. Using them regularly can help to keep oil production under control, reducing your chances of getting blackheads
- Avoid popping or squeezing - you should never pop or squeeze a pimple! Doing so can push the inflammation deeper into your skin, which can cause scarring.
Elemis “go to” pimple products
To celebrate National Fitness Day, our beauty suites are offering 10% off Elemis facial products. Need some help with your skincare routine? Lauren recommends:
- S.O.S Emergency Cream
- Clarifying Wash
- Clarifying Serum
- Dynamic Resurfacing Range
- Herbal Lavender Repair Mask
Last updated Tuesday 20 September 2022
First published on Tuesday 20 September 2022