COVID-19 Rehabilitation Programme
This free 12-week programme is designed to support your recovery from long COVID.
What is the COVID-19 Rehabilitation Programme?
The programme is a blend of physical and emotional support designed to help an ever-growing number of people who are finding it difficult to recover from the long-term effects of COVID-19.
We’re offering the programme free to participants. As the UK’s largest healthcare charity, working to build a healthier nation, we recognise there’s an unmet need to support people with rehabilitation after contracting the virus.
Our range of experts means we can offer you personalised advice to help you with your rehabilitation, while supporting you on your journey back to good health and wellbeing. The programme includes topics such as coping with fatigue, managing breathlessness, anxiety and low mood, improving sleep and eating for recovery.
So far results have shown an improvement in the common symptoms of long COVID, specifically a reduction in breathlessness and anxiety levels, and an improvement in fitness levels and overall quality of life.
How does the programme work?
- The programme runs for 12 weeks and is led by our Rehabilitation Specialists
- Each programme will have 10 participants
- Weeks 1–6 are completed virtually at home
- Weeks 7–12 take place at your chosen Fitness and Wellbeing Centre
- The programme is free of charge
- The programme is aimed at Non-members but will accept a maximum of two members per group
- Please note; existing members will not receive any change to their current membership T&Cs
- A virtual-only programme is available for those who don't live within travelling distance of one of our Fitness and Wellbeing Centres
- Each week, the programme will include:
- 1-2-1 call with your Rehabilitation Specialist
- Activity sessions
- Emotional wellbeing focus.
Is the programme for you?
If, while recovering from COVID-19, you’re experiencing any of the below symptoms, then this programme is here to help you:
- Fatigue, muscle pain and weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Anxiety and low mood
- Memory loss
- Sleep problems
- Generally, not being able to do the activities or return to the lifestyle you had pre-illness.
What does the programme involve?
Once referred, you’ll be sent a questionnaire before having a video call with a Nuffield Health Chartered Physiotherapist to better understand your medical history, including COVID-19 and the severity of your persisting symptoms.
This triage call is to make sure the programme is appropriate for your needs. If we don’t think the programme is suitable for your needs, we’ll signpost you to the appropriate NHS programmes. If suitable, the physiotherapist will set your goals and tailored programme, which will be delivered by a Rehabilitation Specialist.
The first half of the programme is self-managed. You’ll use our COVID-19 Rehabilitation Journal to set goals around physical activities, emotional wellbeing and nutrition.
You’ll also have access to our online information hub where you’ll find:
- guided self-management techniques
- online webinars for sleep, worry, anxiety and breathing techniques
- our virtual rehabilitation classes focusing on low-level exercises – these are guided by ongoing monitoring of your symptoms including breathlessness and fatigue levels, as well as specific outcome measures identified by you and your Rehabilitation Specialist.
For the second half of the programme, you’ll continue your journal activities and still have access to the online information hub, but rehabilitation classes will be in person at your local Nuffield Health Fitness and Wellbeing Centre. You’ll attend these structured, guided classes with fellow participants of the programme in a socially distanced, clean and COVID-secure setting.
Previous participants said that these face-to-face classes helped them feel reassured and supported, knowing that they aren’t alone in their COVID-19 recovery journey.
Virtual COVID-19 Rehabilitation Programme
If you choose this option, the full 12-week programme is self-managed from your own home, with the expert guidance of our Rehabilitation Specialists each week. You’ll use our COVID-19 Rehabilitation Journal to set goals around physical activities, emotional wellbeing and nutrition.
Each week you’ll receive the following support from your Rehabilitation Specialist:
A 1-2-1 video call up to 1 hour to guide you through the programme and monitor your progress
A group livestream exercise class led by your Rehabilitation Specialist and attended by all participants in the same cohort
- ‘Build your own’ self-directed activity where your Rehabilitation Specialist provides you with the tools and knowledge to create your own activities to support your rehabilitation.
Additionally, you’ll have access to our online information hub where you’ll find webinars on topics such as sleep, fatigue, worry, anxiety and breathing techniques, and virtual rehabilitation classes focusing on low-level exercises to support your recovery independently.
How can you take part in the programme?
If you've had a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19, or if you have been diagnosed as suffering from post COVID-19 syndrome, you can apply for the programme by clicking 'Apply Now' and completing the referral form.
Please note that we can't accept you onto the programme if you've had a positive COVID-19 test within 4 weeks of the application or if you are awaiting any test/scan results.
As weeks 7–12 of the programme are delivered at the gym, you'll need to be able to travel to your chosen Nuffield Health Fitness and Wellbeing Centre.
Click 'Gyms in the COVID-19 Rehabilitation Programme' below to see the list of sites that currently offer the programme. If your local Fitness and Wellbeing Centre isn't shown in the drop down list when you click 'Apply Now', it's because it's mid programme and not open to new referrals at the moment. If this is the case, please check back regularly until it becomes available.
Alternatively, you can opt for our ‘Virtual COVID Programme’. Again, if this isn't showing in the drop down list, it's because it's full and not accepting new referrals at the moment.
Gyms in the COVID-19 Rehabilitation Programme
- Birmingham Rubery
- Brighton Hospital
- Bristol Clifton
- East Kilbride
- Edinburgh Fountain Park
- Edinburgh Omni
- Hemel Hempstead
- Merton Abbey
- Manchester East SportCity (MIHP)
- Milton Keynes
- Plymouth (Barbican)
- Plymouth (The Devonshire, Derriford)
- The Oxfordshire Health & Racquets Club