Hernia repair surgery in Leamington Spa
Are you suffering from a painful hernia? At Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital our leading general surgeons can treat all types of hernia and recommend the most appropriate and least invasive treatment for you to undertake. Read more…
|Initial consultation||from £195|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£2,830|
The price displayed for your initial consultation is a guideline only as Consultant fees vary according to their own individual fee schedules. The price displayed above however for pre-assessment, main treatment and post-discharge care is guaranteed and inclusive of all costs.
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our general surgery experts in Leamington Spa
Fill in a contact form, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
The Chase, Old Milverton Lane, Leamington Spa, CV32 6RW
Why choose Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital for your hernia repair treatment?
If your hernia is causing you extreme pain and discomfort then our expert general surgeons are here to help. All of our consultants are experienced in hernia repair surgery, providing patients across The Midlands with rapid access to surgery though a treatment plan which is individually tailored including all hospital costs and any aftercare needed.
There are a range of different hernias which can form in different parts of the body, luckily every hernia can be removed, however some removal procedures are more invasive than others. Depending on the size and location of your hernia, our consultants will provide professional advice and recommend the most appropriate treatment.
At Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital we are extremely proud of our first-class service which aims to relieve patient anxiety and stress in a quiet, comfortable and efficient hospital environment. As a hernia patient, you may be required to stay over night for your treatment. This means that you will be able to relax in one of our modern private en-suite bedrooms complete with wifi and a TV before and after your procedure.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital
If you are interested in going private for your hernia repair treatment and skipping the waiting lists, you will need to book an initial consultation with one of our general surgeons in Leamington Spa. To book, please call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01926 436 351.
What types of hernias can you repair?
There are 2 common types of hernias that we can repair, hernia bilateral and hernia unilateral.
This form of hernia presents itself on both sides of the groin area or lower abdomen at the same time.
- This type of hernia occurs on one side of the body
- In men, an inguinal hernia happens at the inguinal canal. This is a narrow passage in which blood vessels supplying the testicle pass through the abdominal wall
- More common in women, a femoral hernia appears in the groin
- Femoral hernias happen at the hole in the wall of the abdomen where the femoral artery and vein pass from the abdomen into the leg
- These hernias tend to occur following childbirth.
What happens during hernia repair surgery?
We can perform two types of surgery, both with quick recovery times. You may not even need to stay in hospital overnight.
- Open repair surgery takes about 1 hour and a variety of anaesthetics may be used
- Your surgeon will make an incision in your groin and remove the "hernial sac"
- To strengthen the muscle layer, stitches will be used
- They insert a synthetic mesh to cover the weak spot
- Open surgery for groin hernia repair is usually done as a day case meaning you can go home same day.
Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery
- This procedure is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- It normally takes about 1 hour
- A laparoscope (tiny telescope) connected to a camera will be inserted via a very small tube (cannula) to allow your surgeon to close the weak spot from inside your abdomen
- They will use a piece of surgical mesh and surgical staples to reinforce the area
- You will probably go home the day of the surgery or you may spend 1 night in hospital.
How quick is recovery?
- Recovery from hernia repair surgery is usually very quick
- You'll be mobile very soon after the procedure and will be encouraged to increase how much you walk around over the first few days post surgery
- Most patients return to normal daily activities within a week
- Your consultant in Leamington Spa will inform you of any specific "dos and don'ts", depending on your type of hernia and the chosen surgery.
Are there any risks with hernia repair?
As with all operations, hernia repair surgery has a risk of complications. Be sure to discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon.
Many hernias won’t cause immediate pain or problems, but they can present a real risk if left untreated. Here’s how to spot a hernia and what to do next.