Professor Mayberry is a Consultant Gastroenterologist with a busy private practice at Nuffield Health Leicester Hospital. He has worked in gastroenterology for more than 30 years. His major areas of interest include peptic ulcer disease, achalasia, inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, colorectal cancer and pancreatic disease. He sees patients for all areas of gastroenterology and also offers gastroscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy.
Professor Mayberry has chaired NICE committees for the management of Crohn’s disease. He is also a member of the Herbal Medicines Advisory Committee for the MHRA.
He has a long-standing interest in complementary and alternative treatment in the management of gastrointestinal diseases
He has been a keen gardener throughout his life. In recent years he has kept chickens of various types along with quail.
In the evening he likes to spend time with his family and reading history.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor John Mayberry at Nuffield Health
- Colorectal screening
- Glucose breath test
- Urea Breath Test 13C
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Lactose breath test
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- DSc for research in the aetiology of gastrointestinal diseases
- MD for research on the aetiology of Crohn's disease
- LLM for legal aspects of the delivery and quality of care
- MSc for aspects of medical education
He has written more than 300 papers in peer review medical journals. The topics include inflammatory bowel disease, colorectal cancer screening, achalasia, and medical education. His current interests focus on the equitable delivery of care to all communities.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- British Medical Acupuncture Society
- General Regulatory Council for Complementary Therapy
Other post held
- Consultant Physician, Leicester General Hospital
- Professor of Gastroenterology, University of Leicester