Mr Savant completed his specialist training at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre. He also completed a junior fellowship in uveitis and inflammatory disorders at the University of Birmingham and a corneal fellowship in Birmingham and Leicester.
He has vast experience in general ophthalmology and cataract surgery. He has been a Corneal Consultant for the last three years and is currently Lead Clinician for Emergency Eye Services at University Hospitals of Leicester.
- Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Toric Implants - for astigmatic correction
- Multifocal IOL
- Laser Refractive Surgery
- Femtosecond LASIK, LASEK, EPI- LASEK
- Presbyopia treatment
- Clear lens Extraction with Multifocal Intraocular Lens Implant
- Corneal transplants
- Penetrating, lamellar and endothelial keratoplasty
- Collagen Cross Linkage
- Allergic Eye Disease
- Infective Keratitis - herpetic and acanthamoeba
- Teaching and training
Mr Savant's leisure time is spent with his family. He is passionate about cricket and regularly plays in the cricket leagues during the season. Other interests include movies and theatre. He is currently learning to play the guitar.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Vijay Savant at Nuffield Health
- Cataract Surgery
Mr Savant has published and presented work in national and international journals and meetings.
He is a reviewer for several international peer-reviewed journals including:
- British Journal of Ophthalmology
- Contact Lens and Eye
Mr Savant's research includes:
- Acanthamoeba keratitis - diagnosis and drug sensitivity, research with University of Leicester
- Recurrent adenoviral keratitis - role of topical cyclosporin
- Corneal vascularisation - role of subconjunctival bevacizumab
- British Medical Association
- UK Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society
- European Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
Other posts held
- Consultant Ophthalmologist and Lead Clinician for Emergency Eye Services, University Hospitals of Leicester
- Consultant Ophthalmologist, Nuffield Leicester Hospital