Mr Andrew Smith is a consultant surgeon at the Leeds Teaching Hospital Trust. He qualified at St Mary's Hospital/Imperial College Medical School, London in 1991. He was awarded a fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1995. Mr Smith's surgical training took place in Leicester and Nottingham. This included 2 years of research which resulted in a Doctor of Medicine thesis which was awarded with distinction. He then undertook advanced training in hepatobiliary and laparoscopic surgery by completing a fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, USA.
Mr Smith has a busy laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery practice. He performs advanced laparoscopic surgery for gallstones, abdominal wall hernias and hiatus hernias (reflux disease), and laparoscopic surgery for abdominal pain relief. In addition he performs over 80 major pancreas resections per year for pancreatic diseases. He is chairman for pancreatic disease within the Yorkshire Cancer Network. He has an active research programme in benign and malignant pancreatic disease and plays an active role in medical education.
Mr Smith specialises in the following treatments, tests and scans at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital:
Mr Andrew Smith in the news
Mr Smith features in The Daily Mail's Good Doctors Guide: read the guide.
- Minimal access surgery
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Pancreatic and biliary surgery
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Andrew Smith at Nuffield Health
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Pancreas Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- International Hepatopancreatobiliary Association
- European and African Hepatopancreatobiliary Association
- Great Britain and Ireland Hepatopancreatobiliary Association
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons
Other posts held
- Consultant General Surgeon, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Consultant General Surgeon, Wharfedale General Hospital
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Leeds
- Consultant General Surgeon, Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital
Insurers Mr Andrew Smith works with
Mr Andrew Smith works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Andrew Smith does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Andrew Smith does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Andrew Smith does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.