John qualified at Oxford University in 1979 and served five years in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He worked in rheumatology teaching units in Birmingham and London and has been a consultant physician in Orthopaedic Medicine at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre for many years.
His particular interest is in patients with complicated problems and persistent painful conditions which have not responded to simple treatment regimes, and are not suitable for surgical treatment. These include whiplash injury, persistent low back pain, complex regional pain syndrome, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, and knee and foot pain. He provides comprehensive exercise techniques and functional restoration programmes.
- Brachalgia and neck pain
- Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
- Herniated disc
- Myofacial pain disorders
- Neuropathic pain
- Pain following spinal surgery
- Spinal stenosis
- The aging spine
Treatments and tests offered by Dr John Outhwaite at Nuffield Health
- Rheumatology profiles
- Upper Limb Fractures and Injuries
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Society for Rheumatology
- British Society for Rehabilitation Medicine
- British Institute Musculoskeletal Medicine
Other post held
- Consultant in Orthopaedic Medicine, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre
- Consultant in Orthopaedics, London Orthopaedic Clinic
Dr John Outhwaite does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr John Outhwaite does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr John Outhwaite does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.