Are you experiencing pain or having trouble when moving your shoulder joint? At Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital, our orthopaedic experts can diagnose your shoulder condition and recommend whether a shoulder replacement would be right for you.
Why choose Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital for your shoulder replacement surgery?
At Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital, our upper limb orthopaedic surgeons specialise in treating both common and complex shoulder conditions. If your shoulder problem is severe, our consultants may recommend shoulder replacement surgery to relieve pain and help you regain joint movement.
Our orthopaedic surgeons have built an exceptional reputation around Glasgow by providing patients with accurate diagnoses, rapid access to surgery and tailored treatment plans which are inclusive of all costs, with no hidden fees.
By choosing to go private at Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital for your shoulder replacement, you may be eligible for our exclusive Recovery Plus programme. Recovery plus allows patients to continue their post-surgery rehabilitation with an expert physiotherapist at our Glasgow Hospital or one of our sister gyms in Giffnock, Finnieston Street and East Kilbride if more convenient.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital
If you are considering shoulder replacment surgery, or want to discuss your shoulder condition with a specialist, please call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01413 349 441.
Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging required.
What happens during shoulder replacement surgery?
- Shoulder replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The operation usually takes about 2 hours
- Local anaesthetic may also be put into the joint to help with pain control following your surgery
- Your surgeon will make a cut on the front of your shoulder and remove the damaged ball (head of the humerus)
- They will replace the ball and sometimes also the socket
- They may also make any necessary repairs to your rotator cuff tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to a bone)
- They will close your wound and a dressing may be applied. Your arm will be in a sling. Most patients stay in hospital 1 – 2 nights
- A physiotherapist will visit you before you leave hospital to show you gentle exercises
- You will not be able to use your operated hand for up to 6 weeks following your surgery
- Be sure and discuss any concerns you have about daily activities with our care team before you leave.
Going home after your shoulder replacement surgery
- Your shoulder will be sore and swollen for several weeks
- You should take any pain killers regularly to stay ahead of pain and help you get mobile
- Use ice packs or a package of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to help reduce any swelling in your shoulder
- Keep your wound clean and dry until your follow-up appointment
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding increasing your range of motion or decreasing the use of your sling
- Over the next few months you will work with a physiotherapist to progress to more vigorous exercise
- It is important to keep up your exercises so that your shoulder does not become stiff
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding lift or reaching
- It can take up to 6 months to see significant improvement
- Range of motion and strength in your shoulder will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
Although rare, with any surgical procedure there can be complications which include:
- Infection in the surgical site (incision) or joint
- Chest infection
- Heart attack or stroke.
Specific complications of shoulder replacement include:
- Nerve injury
- Fracture of the upper arm
- Rotator cuff tears
- Loosening of the joint.
25 Beaconsfield Road, Glasgow, G12 0PJ
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more