Mr Mark Broadbent
MB ChB, MRCS(Ed), FRCS (Tr&, Orth), Diploma in Hand Surgery
GMC number: 4527811
Practicing since: 1998
- Weekly Wednesday PM
Or call us on
Mark was born and schooled in Glasgow, before moving to Edinburgh for his Undergraduate Medical Education. He graduated from Edinburgh University in 1998, and then spent the next 5 years completing his basic surgical training in Edinburgh. He became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2001 after passing his general surgical exams.
The next 5 years were spent as a Specialist Registrar on the North of Scotland Trauma and Orthopaedic Rotation. In 2007 he passed the Intercollegiate Trauma and Orthopaedic Exam and became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. In July 2008 he took up post as an Advanced Hand Trainee, appointed by the Interface Group in Hand Surgery, in Oxford working with internationally known hand surgeons Peter Burge, Henk Geile, Ian Mcnab, Paul Critchley and Chris Little. From January 2009 to October 2009, he took a further Interface appointed Advanced Hand Training Post, at Wrightington Hospital, working with internationally known surgeons Professor John Stanley, Ian Trail, Mike Hayton and Professor Raj Murali. Mark was awarded the Diploma in Hand Surgery (BSSH) by the University of Manchester in November 2010.
Mark is now an established Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, with an interest in Hand and Upper Limb Surgery, with practices in Greenock (Inverclyde Royal Hospital - NHS) and at the Glasgow Nuffield Hospital.
He has developed the www.handclinics.co.uk website and network to encourage patient and healthcare professional education, as well as develop links with experienced Hand Surgeons across the UK. Mark is involved with both local research at Glasgow University and UK National Studies. He is keen to embrace new treatments such as Collagenase injections for Dupuytren's Disease (Xiapex) and small joint replacements in the hand and wrist.
Mark's current clinical and research interests are small joint replacements in the hand and complex wrist injuries using wrist arthroscopy.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Mark Broadbent at Nuffield Health
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Hand surgery
- Shoulder replacement
- Elbow surgery
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Dupuytren's fasciectomy
Locations Mr Mark Broadbent works with
Click here to read a review article published in colaboration with Mike Hayton (Wrightington Hospital) for the journal Surgery, titled: The Hand and Wrist in Rheumatoid and Osteoarthitis.
Two articles recently published by Hand Surgery:
- Broadbent MR, Bach OS, Johnstone AJ: In situ rotational dislocation of the trapezoid associated with carpal-metacarpal dislocation - A case report. Hand Surgery 2009; Volume 14, Issue 1 pp. 31-33
- Broadbent MR, Stevenson I, MacEachern C, Johnstone AJ: Investigation of radio-lunate relations in normal and fractured wrists. Hand Surgery 2009; Volume 14, Issue 2,
Publication in Injury:
- Broadbent MR, Will E, McQueen MM. Prediction of outcome after humeral diaphyseal fracture. Injury 2009
Other Recent Presentations:
- November 12th 2009, BSSH Nottingham: A Short-term Review of the Finsbury Proximal Interphalangeal Joint Replacement.
- January 27th 2010, Ross Hall Physiotherapy Department: Changes in Hand and Wrist Surgery
- February 5th 2010, Inverclyde Royal Hospital: Advances in Hand and Wrist Surgery
- February 12th 2010, Western General Hospital, Glasgow: Metacarpal and Phalangeal Fractures
- February 24th 2010, Wrightington Hospital: Surgical Anatomy as Applied to Wrist Arthroscopy
November 12th 2010, BSSH London: The Use of the Electro-mechanical Finger Prosthesis in Partial Hand Amputees
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- British Orthopaedic Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, Inverclyde Royal Hospital
Insurers Mr Mark Broadbent works with
Mr Mark Broadbent works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Medical Care Direct
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Mark Broadbent does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Mark Broadbent does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Mark Broadbent does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.