Professor Millar is Professor of Orthopaedics at the University of Glasgow and an academic shoulder surgeon at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Glasgow specialising in shoulder surgery having completed shoulder fellowships in Sydney ( Prof George Murrell) and New York. ( Dr Evan Flatow) He runs a basic science lab investigating the molecular pathophysiology of tendinopathy; an overuse injury, characterised by tendon pain and weakness with a significant burden of disease. Professor Millar is recognised as an international expert on treating patients with tendon problems and has extensive experience in working within multidisciplinary environments with physiotherapists, rheumatologists, coaches, and sports therapists and his aim is to help every patient achieve their maximum potential.
Professor Millar’s specialist interests include treatment of rotator cuff problems, instability, arthritis and stiffness of the shoulder. He is an expert in fluroquinolone (FQ) related musculoskeletal toxicity/disability having .sat on the European Medicines Agency panel on fluoroquinolone toxicity. He sees many UK/EU/US FQ patients both in his NHS and private practice. Additionally, he runs a specialist 'One stop' complex tendon clinic in the NHS focused on improving the treatment of tendinopathy.
- Shoulder pain and stiffness
- Rotator cuff disorders and injuries (tears)
- Shoulder calcific tendinitis (calcium deposits)
- Acromio-clavicular joint (ACJ) pain and injuries
- Frozen shoulder
- Shoulder dislocation
- Shoulder arthritis
- Clavicle (collar bone) disorders
- Shoulder blade disorders
- Tennis elbow (common extensor tendon tendinopathy)
- Golfer elbow
- Multiple tendinopathies
- Gluteal tendinopathy
- Chronic Achilles tendinopathy
Professor Millar’s laboratory’s research focuses on the immunopathogenesis and translational immunobiology of soft tissue musculoskeletal diseases including tendinopathy. He has been instrumental in leading/designing clinical trials of novel therapies in human tendon disease. He has completed a worldwide Phase II clinical trial of IL-17A blockade in shoulder tendinopathy patients following his laboratory discovery of a key role of IL-17 in tendon disease. Furthermore his discovery of a single microRNA-dependent regulatory pathway in early tissue healing highlights a microRNA replacement therapy as a promising therapeutic option for human tendon disease currently Phase I human development representing true ‘translational’ science.
- Millar NL, Silbernagel KG, Thorborg K, Kirwan PD, Galatz LM, Abrams GD, Murrell GAC, McInnes IB, Rodeo SA. Tendinopathy. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2021 Jan 7;7(1):1. doi: 10.1038/s41572-020-00234-1.
- Millar NL, Murrell GAC, McInnes IB. Inflammatory mechanisms in tendinopathy: toward translation Nature Reviews Rheumatology Feb 2017
- Challoumas D, Biddle M, McLean M, Millar NL. Comparison of Treatments for Frozen Shoulder: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Dec 1;3(12):e2029581. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.29581.
- Millar NL, Murrell GAC, Kirwan P. Time to put down the scalpel? The role of surgery in tendinopathy.Br J Sports Med. 2020 Apr;54(8):441-442. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2019-101084.
- Millar NL, Siebert S, McInnes IB. Europe rules on harm from fluoroquinolone antibiotics. Nature. 2019 Feb;566(7744):326. doi: 10.1038/d41586-019-00619-7.
- Challoumas D, Kirwan PD, Borysov D, Clifford C, McLean M, Millar NL. Topical glyceryl trinitrate for the treatment of tendinopathies: a systematic review.Br J Sports Med. 2019 Feb;53(4):251-262. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2018-099552.
- Millar NL, Akbar M, Campbell AL, Reilly JH, Kerr SC, McLean,M., Frleta-Gilchrist,M. Fazzi, UG,Leach WJ, Rooney BP, Crowe LAN, Murrell GA, McInnes, IB. IL-17A mediates inflammatory and tissue remodelling events in early human tendinopathy Sci Rep. 2016 Jun 6;6:27149. doi: 10.1038/srep27149. PMID: 27263531
- Millar NL, Gilchrist DS, Akbar M, Reilly JH, Kerr SC, Campbell AL, Murrell GAC, Liew FY, Kurowska-Stolarska M, McInnes IB. MicroRNA29a regulates IL-33-mediated tissue remodelling in tendon disease. Nat Commun. 2015 Apr 10;6:6774. doi: 10.1038/ncomms7774.
- Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- Orthopaedic Research Society USA – Tendon Section Research Chair
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society Surgeon Member (BESS)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons ( International Member)
- British Orthopaedic Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder Surgeon, Glasgow Queen Elizabeth University Hospital
Insurers Professor Neal L Millar works with
Professor Neal L Millar works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
Professor Neal L Millar does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Neal L Millar does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Neal L Millar does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.