At Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital, our experienced orthopaedic consultants are experts in joint revision surgery, offering rapid access to hip revision treatment.
Why choose Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital for your hip revision surgery?
At Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital, we aim to provide an outstanding level of private healthcare, offering a wide range of first class orthopaedic services through our new state-of-the-art hospital facilities.
If your old hip replacement has started to wear, you may feel some pain or discomfort during regular activities and movement. At Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital our expert hip consultants can identify ageing prosthetic problems and if needed, provide you with rapid access to a brand new hip through hip revision surgery.
Our newly opened hospital is conveniently located on Trumpington Road, south of Cambridge's historic city centre. Our close proximity to Addenbrookes and Cambridge attracts some of the areas leading orthopaedic surgeons, who are able to provide first-class clinical care using our modern, cutting edge facilities.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital
If you are suffering from hip pain and want to discuss your treatment options with one of our consultants in Cambridge, you will need to book a private consultation via our dedicated enquiry team on 01223 370 922. Alternatively, fill out a contact form above and we will get back to you.
Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging needed.
What is hip revision surgery?
Hip revision surgery is a surgical procedure to take out your old, often worn out hip replacement to be replaced with a brand new one.
Hip replacements can fail for several reasons:
- Wearing out of the artificial ball and socket joint
- Infection in the hip joint
- Fracture of the thighbone (Femur).
What happens during hip revision surgery?
During your operation your surgeon will remove your old hip prosthesis and any cement that might have been used to hold it in place. He will replace your old prosthesis with new components.
Your surgeon’s choice of prosthesis will be based on several factors such as your age, your level of activity and your current condition. Both cemented and uncemented replacements are used. If you have concerns be sure and ask your surgeon about his prosthesis choice.
Going home after your hip revision at Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital
- One of our on-site physiotherapists will give you some exercises to help get your new hip moving
- These exercises are important to help you make a full and thorough recovery
- You may be using crutches or a walker
- When you are able to walk up and down stairs, you can go home
- You won’t be able to drive, so you will need someone to come and take you home from the hospital, once discharged.
So you don’t damage your new hip and to help your wound heal, you should follow a few restrictions for the first six weeks of your recovery:
- Avoid bending your new hip beyond 90 degrees
- Avoid rolling your leg towards the other leg
- Avoid crossing your legs
- Avoid twisting on your new hip when standing
- Use the shower instead of the bath
- Keep wearing your support stockings - you may have to do so for 4 to 6 weeks
- If you have any questions or concerns about your restrictions be sure and ask a member.
What are the risks involved with a hip revision?
Most people make a good recovery and return to normal activities following hip revision. However as with any surgery there can be complications which include:
- Infection of the surgical site (incision)
- Blood clots (DVT - deep vein thrombosis)
- Difficulty passing urine
- Chest infection.
Specific complications might include:
- Split in the femur
- Nerve damage around the hip
- Damage to the blood vessels around the hip
- Infection in the hip
- Loosening of the replacement
- Leg length difference.
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more