- Specialities Ophthalmology
- Telephone 01670 811745 / 07875 552387 / 07791 336181
- Year of first qualification 1988
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- GMC Number 3285275
- Fax 0191 2811379
Mr Talks has worked as a Consultant Ophthalmologist, both at the Royal Victoria infirmary in Newcastle and at the Nuffield Hospital, since 2000, providing specialist cataract surgery, medial retinal diagnosis and treatments, as well as general ophthalmic care. He trained at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, Oxford and Birmingham, after medical training in London and qualifying from Cambridge University.
He performs about 700 cataract procedures a year with excellent results taking particular care to try and tailor a patient’s need for glasses to their requirements. This involves the careful consideration of the use of monofocal, toric or multifocal lenses.
He is an internationally recognized expert in medical retinal diagnosis and management, in particular macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy, giving several lectures a year both in the UK and abroad. He is actively involved in clinical trials and publications.
He is lead for the medical retina service in Newcastle. He was a Council member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and on the Scientific committee for 6 years, through until 2018. He is Master of the Oxford Congress and has been a council member for the last 12 years.
- Weekly Monday 09:00 - 12:00
- Weekly Wednesday 17:30 - 19:30
- Consultant Ophthalmologist, Royal Victoria Infirmary
Advisor to the Ombudsman. Helped write the Royal College guidelines on retinal vein occlusions and macular degeneration.
Painting, bird watching, travel
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Oxford Congress
- British Medical Association
- North East Ophthalmological Society
He is actively involved in clinical trials of potential new treatments for macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and retinal vein occlusions and studies of new clinical approaches including the use of new imaging methods. In 2019/20 he was involved in 8 trials at the Royal Victoria Infirmary. He has had 18 publications in the last 5 years in peer reviewed scientific ophthalmic journals.
5 recent papers
1. Randomised trial of wide-field guided PRP for diabetic macular oedema treated with ranibizumab. SJ Talks et al. Eye volume 33, 2019 ;930–937.
2. Expanding the role of medical retina virtual clinics using multimodal ultra-widefield and optical coherence tomography imaging. Lee JX, Manjunath V, Talks SJ. Clin Ophthalmol. 2018 Nov 15;12:2337-2345.
3. The use of optical coherence tomography angiography for detecting choroidal neovascularization, compared to standard multimodal imaging. Soomro T, Talks J; Eye (Lond). 2018 Apr;32(4):661-672.
4. Intravitreal aflibercept for neovascular age-related macular degeneration in patients aged 90 years or older: 2-year visual acuity outcomes. Chatziralli I, Regan SO, Mohamed R, Talks J, Sivaprasad S; UK Aflibercept Users Group. Eye (Lond). 2018 Sep;32(9):1523-1529.
5.Clinical efficacy of intravitreal aflibercept versus panretinal photocoagulation for best corrected visual acuity in patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy at 52 weeks (CLARITY): a multicentre, single-blinded, randomised, controlled, phase 2b, non-inferiority trial. Sivaprasad S, Prevost AT, Vasconcelos JC, Riddell A, Murphy C, Kelly J, Bainbridge J, Tudor-Edwards R, Hopkins D, Hykin P; CLARITY Study Group. Lancet. 2017 Jun 3;389(10085):2193-2203.
DeclarationMr Stephen James Talks works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Stephen James Talks does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Stephen James Talks does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Stephen James Talks does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.