- Specialities General Surgery
- Telephone 01133 882067
- Year of first qualification 1986
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- GMC Number 3191691
- Fax 0113 301 0245
Professor Giles Toogood is a Consultant Hepatobiliary Surgeon based at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital, St James's University Hospital and Wharfedale General Hospital. He qualified at Oxford University and subsequently trained in Oxford, Cambridge and Australia, including a period of research for Doctor of Medicine thesis.
The St James's Hospital Hepatobiliary Unit is one of the busiest in Europe, performing liver transplantation, liver resection and laparoscopic surgery. As one of the consultants in the unit, Professor Toogood performs both open and keyhole surgery specialising in hepatic and biliary disease.
Professor Toogood is the Clinical Director for Day Surgery at the Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust and has a particular interest in day care laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal).
Each year Professor Toogood performs in excess of 250 laparoscopic cholecystectomies and 100 major liver operations including laparoscopic liver resection and liver transplants.
Professor Giles Toogood in the news
Professor Toogood features in The Daily Mail's Good Doctors Guide: read the guide.
- Weekly Tuesday PM
- Consultant Surgeon, St James's University Hospital, Leeds
- Consultant General Surgeon, Wharfedale General Hospital
- Clinical Associate Professor in Surgery, University of Leeds
- Liver Biopsy
- Liver Disease
- Laparoscopic surgery
Professor Giles Toogood is married to a local GP and has three daughters. He played both first class cricket and rugby in the 1980s and continues to play for his local club side with increasingly stiff joints!
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- International Hepatopancreaticobiliary Association
- Chairman, Great Britain and Ireland Hepatopancreatobiliary Association
- European and African Hepatopancreaticobiliary Association
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons
As an Examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons and as a member of the Yorkshire Training Committee Professor Toogood has an interest in training.
Professor Toogood also has a busy research programme studying colorectal liver cancer and has fellows working towards MD and PhDs. They have recently been awarded both MRC and CRUK Research Fellowships to support this work.
DeclarationProfessor Giles Toogood works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Professor Giles Toogood does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Giles Toogood does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Giles Toogood does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.