Dr Mitra is a Consultant Neuroradiologist working in a teaching hospital in Newcastle. He has undertaken sub-speciality training in Neuroradiology and further training in interventional neuroradiology (Boston Scientific fellow) and paediatric neuroradiology (attachments at Great Ormond Street Hospital, London and St Jude Hospital, Memphis, USA).
He has carried out over 250 aneurysm embolisations as well as tumour embolisations, intra-arterial thrombolysis and treatment of carotido-cavernous fistulae. Dr Mitra is the lead radiologist for paediatric neuroimaging and pituitary imaging at his base and has been published in several international journals and presented papers and delivered guest lectures at national and international meetings.
Dr Mitra is strongly interested in research and he is the principal investigator of a randomised controlled study.
- Diagnostic neuroimaging
- Endovascular treatment of aneurysms and stroke
- Image guided biopsy
Music and photography
- Accelerated Myelination with Motor System Involvement in a Neonate with Immediate Postnatal Onset of Seizures and Hemimegalencephaly. Goldsberry G, Mitra D, MacDonald D, Patay Z. Accepted for publication in Epilepsy and Behaviour 2011.
- Diffusion tensor imaging in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia with Lewy bodies. Firbank M, Blamire A, Teodorczuk A, Mitra D, Teper E, O’Brien J. Accepted for publication in Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 2011.
- The importance of biopsy following radiological diagnosis of relapsed medulloblastoma. Fisher J, Mitra D, Price L, Lewis J, Johnstone H, Gerrard A, Hale J, Clifford S, Bailey S., Br J Neurosurg. 2011Dec (Epub ahead of print).
- TUBA1A mutation-associated lissencephaly: case report and review of literature. Sohal A, Montgomery T, Mitra D, Ramesh V., Paediatric Neurology 2012 Feb; 46(2):127-131
A microbiological hazard of rural living: Clostridium septicum brain abscess in a child with E.Coli 0157 associated Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome (HUS) Willams, Eleri; Mitchell, Patrick; Mitra, Dipayan; Clark, Julia. Accepted for publication in BMJ Case Reports.
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Radiologists
- Medical Defence Union
Other post held
- Consultant Neuroradiologist, Nuffield Health Hospital Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Consultant Neuroradiologist, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Dr Dipayan Mitra does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Dipayan Mitra does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Dipayan Mitra does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.