Colonoscopy in Plymouth
At Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital our experienced endoscopists regularly perform colonoscopies and can provide you with an accurate and fast diagnosis. Read more…
|Initial consultation||from £150|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£2,335|
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our men's health experts in Plymouth
Fill out the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Why choose Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital for your colonoscopy?
The Endoscopy Unit at Nuffield Hospital Plymouth undertakes over 1000 procedures per year and has even been awarded the highest rating of accreditation for its Gastrointestinal Endoscopy service and has JAG accreditation.
The Nuffield Hospital Plymouth has been praised in a number of areas regarding endoscopy, such as the excellent safety checklist it has in place and the high quality patient-centred environment it creates which allows for privacy and dignity standards to be maintained. The modern and well-maintained decontamination area was also highlighted along with an on-going patient survey which is regularly reviewed and acted upon as well as the opportunities the hospital gives its staff for development and training.
Are you in need of a colonoscopy procedure?
You can skip the waiting lists and get rapid access to a private colonoscopy at Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital. Our specialist endoscopists are experts in diagnostic scans and you can expect to receive a detailed diagnosis and the findings from your procedure as quickly as possible.
An experienced Gastroenterologist or Surgeon will perform your procedure. We offer diagnostic gastroscopy, colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy with some therapeutic procedures such as stretching of stricture (dilatation) or polyp removal (Polypectomy). The Nurse lead is SSN; Jo Lock, and Clinical lead for Endoscopy is Consultant Gastroenterologist; Dr Simon Dunlop.
You will receive the individual care you need and deserve at our Plymouth Hospital. Our consultants are fully supported by our dedicated matron-led nursing team, who are available 24-7 to provide first-class clinical care and a warm hospital atmosphere.
What is a colonoscopy?
- A colonoscopy is a test regularly carried out at our Plymouth Hospital that allows our consultant to look at the inner lining of your large intestine, (rectum and colon)
- We use a thin, flexible tube called a colonoscope to look at the colon
- A colonoscopy helps identify conditions such as ulcers, colon polyps, tumours and inflamed areas of inflammation.
Are there any alternatives to a colonoscopy?
Yes, other options can include a barium enema (an x-ray of the large bowel) or a CT colography (a special scan of the large bowel).
What does a colonoscopy procedure involve?
- If appropriate, the endoscopist may offer you a sedative or painkiller
- A colonoscopy usually takes between half an hour and three-quarters of an hour
- The procedure involves placing a flexible telescope into the back passage and blowing some air into the large bowel to get a clear view
- The endoscopist will be able to look for problems such as inflammation or polyps
- They will be able to perform biopsies and take photographs to help make the diagnosis.
What complications could happen?
- Allergic reaction
- Breathing difficulties or heart irregularities
- Making a hole in the colon
- Incomplete procedure.
How soon will I recover from my colonoscopy at Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital?
- If you were given a sedative, you will normally recover in approximately 2 hours
- You may feel a bit bloated for a few hours but this will pass
- Your consultant will report back to you the findings of your colonoscopy
- Most of our patients are able to go back to work the day after the colonoscopy.
A colonoscopy is usually a very safe and effective way of finding out if you have a problem with your large bowel.
Some of our Patient feedback responses can be found below:
- Very efficient, friendly and impressive. I was made to feel very welcoming and nice and friendly.
- Very professional. Very informative and putting one at ease.
- Excellent. Everything was perfect, the staff were very professional and caring. 10/10 Exceptional.
- The empathy and care from staff is outstanding. I was very apprehensive of procedure but felt re-assured and supported throughout.
- Very slick. Reassuring all the way. Patient care was excellent. Something I really dread. Your team were fantastic.
Thousands of men are killed by preventable diseases every year. By knowing the signs and reacting early, you can survive to live a long and happy life.