Shoulder replacement surgery in Derby
Or call us on
Is your shoulder pain stopping you from enjoying the things in life you love? At Nuffield Health Derby Hospital our expert orthopaedic surgeons can diagnose your pain and provide you with rapid access to shoulder replacement surgery if necessary.
Why choose Nuffield Health Derby Hospital for your shoulder replacement procedure?
At Nuffield Health Derby Hospital, our upper limb orthopaedic surgeons specialise in treating both common and complex shoulder conditions. If your shoulder problem is severe, our consultants may recommend shoulder replacement surgery to relieve pain and help you regain joint movement.
Our experienced orthopaedic surgeons have been leading the way for private orthopaedic treatment in The East Midlands for a number of years. They are able to provide patients with quick access to shoulder replacement surgery through a treatment plan which is personalised and inclusive of all hospital costs.
Our consultants take pride in helping patients from Derbyshire and further afield return to enjoying the activities they love, pain-free. Your care doesn't stop after treatment, our specially trained in-house physiotherapy team will help support you after surgery with post-op rehabilitation and joint movement exercises.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Derby Hospital
If you are suffering from shoulder pain and want to discuss treatment options with a consultant, please call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01332 540100 who will arrange an initial consultation with a shoulder surgeon for you.
Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging required.
What happens during shoulder replacement surgery?
- Shoulder replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The operation usually takes about 2 hours
- Local anaesthetic may also be put into the joint to help with pain control following your surgery
- Your surgeon will make a cut on the front of your shoulder and remove the damaged ball (head of the humerus)
- They will replace the ball and sometimes also the socket
- They may also make any necessary repairs to your rotator cuff tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to a bone)
- They will close your wound and a dressing may be applied. Your arm will be in a sling. Most patients stay in hospital 1 – 2 nights
- A physiotherapist will visit you before you leave hospital to show you gentle exercises
- You will not be able to use your operated hand for up to 6 weeks following your surgery
- Be sure and discuss any concerns you have about daily activities with our care team before you leave.
Going home after your shoulder replacement surgery
- Your shoulder will be sore and swollen for several weeks
- You should take any painkillers regularly to stay ahead of pain and help you get mobile
- Use ice packs or a package of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to help reduce any swelling in your shoulder
- Keep your wound clean and dry until your follow-up appointment
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding increasing your range of motion or decreasing the use of your sling
- Over the next few months, you will work with a physiotherapist to progress to more vigorous exercise
- It is important to keep up your exercises so that your shoulder does not become stiff
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding lift or reaching
- It can take up to 6 months to see significant improvement
- The range of motion and strength in your shoulder will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
Although rare, with any surgical procedure there can be complications which include:
- Infection in the surgical site (incision) or joint
- Chest infection
- Heart attack or stroke.
Specific complications of shoulder replacement include:
- Nerve injury
- Fracture of the upper arm
- Rotator cuff tears
- Loosening of the joint.
Shoulder replacement consultants at Derby Hospital
Rykneld Road, Derby, DE23 4SN
Ways to pay
Nuffield Health promise
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more