Born in South Africa, Mr Espag gained his basic medical degree from the University of Pretoria. After working as a houseman in Johannesburg he emigrated to the United Kingdom in 1996.
On completion of Basic Surgical Training in Essex he passed the MRCS examination in 2000, after which he relocated to the Midlands to complete his Orthopaedic Training at Derby and Nottingham.
To gain specialist experience in his chosen subspecialty of Shoulder and Elbow surgery Mr Espag completed fellowship training at the upper limb units at Derby and Nottingham as well as a 6 month fellowship based in Cape Town with Dr Joe de Beer.
He gained entry to the specialist register in March 2008 and started working at the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary as a Locum Consultant in April 2008, replacing Mr P G Lunn. The appointment became substantive in June 2009.
Mr Espag's main interest is in arthroscopic and open shoulder and elbow surgery, but he still maintains an interest in General Orthopaedics and is on the on-call rota for general trauma at the Royal Derby Hospital.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Marius Espag at Nuffield Health
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Shoulder replacement
- Elbow surgery
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Trauma reconstruction
- Tennis elbow release
- Bone Graft
- Results after arthroscopic release of a frozen shoulder: The Derby Experience, Mr A Bishop, Mr D I Clark (Derbyshire Royal Infirmary)
- Stabilisation of the Acromio-clavicular joint using a biological graft, Dr J F de Beer and Dr K Van Rooyen (Cape Shoulder Institute, Cape Town)
- The use of anatomic pre-contoured plates in the treatment of midshaft clavicle fractures, Mr J Chandrasenan and Mr D I Clark (Derbyshire Royal Infirmary), submitted for publication: European Journal of Trauma
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon, Royal Derby Hospital
Mr Marius Espag does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Marius Espag does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Marius Espag does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.