Vaginal prolapse surgery at The Vale Hospital
Or call us on
At Nuffield Health Cardiff & Vale Hospitals, our experienced gynaecologists can provide you with rapid access to a consultation before compiling a vaginal prolapse repair treatment plan completely tailored to you!
Why choose Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital for your vaginal prolapse repair surgery?
A vaginal prolapse is very common in women who have had a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus). This is because the uterus supports the top of your vagina. Other causes include childbirth and hormonal changes in menopause. If your vaginal prolapse does not respond to conservative treatment, your consultant at The Vale may recommend vaginal prolapse surgery.
At Nuffield Health The Vale Hospital, located in the beautiful valleys of Glamorgan, our leading gynaecologists specialise in vaginal prolapse surgery, providing you with expert advice and a comprehensive treatment plan which is tailored to you and your women's health needs.
At our private hospital, patient experience is at the heart of everything we do. Our ultra modern patient facilities and excellent countryside views ensure that you are comfortable, relaxed and entertained throughout your hospital stay.
How to book a private consultation at Nuffield Health Cardiff & Vale Hospitals
If you are suffering from a vaginal prolapse and want to discuss your treatment options with one of our gynaecology consultants in either Cardiff or Vale, you will need to book a private consultation via our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 02920 003998.
Our 2 hospital locations in South Wales allow you to shape your own vaginal prolapse treatment
Vaginal prolapse surgery is performed at our Vale Hospital, however patients have the flexibility to decide where their initial consultation takes place.
As well as the Vale Hospital, our gynaecology consultants operate out of Nuffield Health Cardiff Bay Hospital for initial consultations, all diagnostic imaging and pre-op tests.
Subsequently, you can choose which of our two locations you want to undertake your post surgery aftercare with.
What happens during vaginal prolapse surgery at Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital?
- Vaginal prolapse surgery is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- In some cases it can be performed as laparoscopic surgery
- The length of the procedure will depend on the extent of your prolapse
- Your consultant will make incisions inside your vagina and strengthen the supporting tissues with stitches. They may make repairs to both the back and front vaginal walls
- Additional supporting stitches may be needed may be needed at the top of your vagina or into your cervix. In some cases surgical mesh may be used. Any wounds will be closed using dissolvable staples
- At the end of your procedure they may insert a catheter into your bladder to drain urine and your vagina may be packed with material to prevent bleeding. These will be removed in 1-2 days
- You may need to stay in our Vale hospital for 3-5 days. Be sure and let a member of our healthcare team know if you are in any pain. You will be able to go home once you are able to move about confidently and you can pass urine with no problem.
Going home after vaginal prolapse surgery in South Wales
- You will not be able to drive until release to do so by your consultant. Please arrange for someone to take you home on your day of discharge
- You will need to rest and recover for several weeks. Take over the counter pain relief such as paracetamol as needed for any post-operative pain
- You may experience light vaginal bleeding for up to 2 weeks
- You should avoid lifting anything heavy including shopping, laundry or young children for the first 2-4 weeks. In addition you should avoid any strenuous sports activities for at least 4 weeks
- Any stitches you have will dissolve in about 10-14 days. There is no need to remove them.
Most women make a good recovery from vaginal prolapse surgery. As with any operation there can be complications:
- Blood clots (deep vein thrombosis).
Specific complications of vaginal prolapse surgery include:
- Perforation of bladder or rectum
- Injury to the uterus
- Recurrence of symptoms.
Vaginal Prolapse Surgery consultants at Cardiff and Vale Hospitals
Cardiff Bay Hospital, Dunleavy Drive, Cardiff, CF11 0SN
The Vale Hospital, Hensol Castle Park, Vale of Glamorgan, CF72 8JX
|Initial consultation||from £160|
|Diagnostics||If needed to determine treatment plan|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£6,833|
The guide price
stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price
may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any
pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway.
You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following
your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Nuffield Health promise
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more