A cystoscopy examines the inside of your bladder and urethra tube using a special instrument called a 'cystoscope'. At Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital we can provide you with rapid access to a diagnostic cystoscopy performed by our leading urologists.
Why choose Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital for your cystoscopy?
At Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital our experienced urologists specialise in performing cystoscopy. They are able to provide a detailed and accurate diagnosis of any findings during the procedure.
Did you know that Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital was the very first Nuffield facility to open in the UK over 6 decades ago? It's legacy, customer service and outstanding patient satisfaction ratings have set the bar high for the other Nuffield Health Hospitals across the country to follow.
What happens during a cystoscopy in Bournemouth?
- A cystoscopy is normally performed in our outpatient department, however if you require a complex examination this can be carried out in theatre using a sedative to help you relax. Your Consultant will recommend which method will be used based on your symptoms.
- If the procedure is carried out as day case in our outpatient department you will be able to drive home the day of your procedure, however if it is carried out in theatre you should arrange for a responsible adult to take you home in a car or taxi and stay with you for at least 12 hours.
- A cystoscopy is usually performed using a jelly like substance which will be applied to your urethra. This is a local anaesthetic to numb the area and help the cystoscope pass through your urethra.
- You may also be given a sedative to help you relax.
- An anaesthesiologist will recommend what method will be used based on your own situation.
- This procedure is usually performed as a day case meaning you will be able to go home the day of your procedure.
- Your consultant will ease the cystoscope gently through your urethra and carefully examine the passage as well as the lining of your bladder.
- Sterile water may be used to flush the area.
- They will look for any abnormalities and may take a urine or tissue sample for analysis in a lab.
- In some cases a tissue sample will be taken and sent to a lab for analysis.
- You may be given antibiotics to help prevent any infection..
Going home after your cystoscopy in Bournemouth
- Most of our patients are able to go back to work within 24 hours after the cystoscopy unless they get told otherwise.
- If you were given a sedative, a responsible adult should take you home in a car or taxi and stay with you for at least 12 hours. Be near a telephone in the case of an emergency.
- Do not drive, operate machinery or do any potentially dangerous activities (this includes cooking) for at least 24 hours and not until you have fully recovered feeling, movement and co-ordination. You should also not sign legal documents or drink alcohol for at least 24 hours.
- You should arrange for someone to drive you home when you are discharged
- For the first few days after a cystoscopy many people experience a burning sensation when urinating
- In addition, if you have had a tissue sample taken you may see blood in your urine - this is normal and can be expected
- Drink plenty of water to help ease these symptoms.
Most people recover well from a cystoscopy. Complications are rare but they could include:
- Swelling in your urethra (inability to pass urine)
- Urinary tract infection
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
|Initial consultation||from £200|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£635|
The guide price stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway. You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more