Mr Smith graduated from Imperial College in 2002 before carrying out his basic surgical training at the Royal Surrey Hospital followed by two years of clinical research at Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospital in London. The focus of this research was prostate cancer, diagnostic prostate biopsies and robotic radical prostatectomy. In 2009 Julian published his MSc thesis “The evolving role of transperineal template prostate biopsies” before continuing his higher training in Wessex.
Mr Smith’s principle interests are laparoscopic and open major abdominal and pelvic cancer surgery. He was appointed to University Hospital Southampton (UHS) in 2014 as a bladder and kidney cancer surgeon and has established himself, nationally, as a high volume cystectomist (bladder removal surgeon).
Mr Smith, also, augments the laparoscopic and open nephrectomy service as well as dovetailing with the prostate team continuing with transperineal biopsies and prostate high dose rate brachytherapy. He continues to enjoy his benign work consisting of vasectomy/peno-scrotology and endoscopic surgery such as transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) to help male urinary symptoms.
Outside theatre, Mr Smith remains highly patient focused. He has transformed the local Enhanced Recovery Programmes for patients after major urological surgery and has written the national guidelines for the British Association of Urological Surgeons.
- Urological Cancer
- Prostate cancer, Bladder and Urothelial Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Testis Cancer
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Urinary symptoms
- Urinary Incontinence
- Kidney stone disease
- Peno-scrotal problems
On a personal level, Mr Smith is married with two children. He enjoys keeping fit and will pretty much play any sport to do this! On Saturday mornings he coaches an under 6 football practice on Whitecliff park, Lilliput and if there is any time left, he is not afraid of lycra and can often be spotted out on his roadbike.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Julian Smith at Nuffield Health
- Prostate screening
- Stoma surgery
- Endoscopic kidney stone treatment
- Laparoscopic urology
- Prostate surgery
- Epididymal surgery
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
- Female urology
- Vasectomy or male sterilisation
- Blood test
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumour (TURBT)
- CT scan (or CAT scan)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Pelvic surgery
- Testicular ultrasound
- Intravenous pyelogram (IVP)
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- MRI scan
- Prostate resection (TURP)
Mr Smith’s most recent publications:
1) *Smith J, Pruthi R, McGrath J. Perspectives: Enhanced Recovery for patients undergoing radical cystectomy. Nat Rev Urol. 2014 Aug;11(8):437-44. doi: 10.1038/nrurol.2014.164
2) *Smith JB, Meng ZW, Locker CR, Dudderidge TJ, McGrath J, Hayes M, Birch BR. The evolution of the Southampton Enhanced Recovery Programme for radical cystectomy and the aggregation of marginal gains. BJU Int. 2014 Sep;114(3):375-83. doi: 10.1111/bju.12644. Epub 2014 Jul 27.
3) *Smith JB,, Popert R, Nuttall M, Vyas L, Kinsella J, Cahill D. Transperineal sector prostate biopsies: a local anaesthetic outpatient technique. Urology. 2014 Jun;83(6):1344-9. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2014.02.008. Epub 2014 Apr 13.
- General Medical Council
- Medical Defence Union
- Royal Society of Medicine
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- European Association of Urology
Other posts held
- Consultant Urological Surgeon Lead Bladder Cancer Surgeon at University Hospital Southampton
Insurers Mr Julian Smith works with
Mr Julian Smith works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Julian Smith does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Julian Smith does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Julian Smith does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.