Tamsin Drake graduated from the University of Southampton in 2009, before carrying out her Core Surgical Training and Specialist Urological Training in the Wessex Deanery.
Tamsin is a General Urologist with a sub-specialist interest in laparoscopic, robotic and open kidney surgery, for which she completed 18 months of fellowship training at the Bristol Urological Institute in 2017-19. She was appointed to The Royal Bournemouth Hospital as a Consultant Urologist in 2019. Alongside her sub-speciality work, Tamsin continues to enjoy looking after patients with a whole range of general urological problems including bothersome urinary symptoms, urinary tract infections, prostate problems (including a raised PSA), blood in the urine (haematuria), and conditions affecting the penis and scrotum.
In the age of Google, Tamsin values individualised consultations with her patients and believes they have the right to understand the nature of their disease and treatment options through open dialogue with the doctor treating them.
Over the years Tamsin has enjoyed actively contributing to the wider medical community to support best evidence-based practice. She helped produce European Urology Guidelines from 2014-2019.
Outside work, Tamsin enjoys keeping fit with her husband, completing an Ironman in 2015. This helps her mitigate the effects of her other main hobbies which are food and baking!
- Kidney cancer
- Laparoscopic procedures (key hole surgery)
- Robotic surgery
- Prostate cancer
- Urothelial cancer
- Urinary tract infection
- Urinary symptoms
- Urinary incontinence
- Kidney stone disease
- Problems affecting the penis and scrotum
Treatments and tests offered by Miss Tamsin Drake at Nuffield Health
- Prostate screening
- Local anaesthetic
- Laparoscopic urology
- Prostate surgery
- Epididymal surgery
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
- Female urology
- Vasectomy or male sterilisation
- Blood test
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumour (TURBT)
- CT scan (or CAT scan)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Testicular ultrasound
- Intravenous pyelogram (IVP)
- Drug and medication monitoring
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- MRI scan
- Prostate resection (TURP)
- Penile lesions (biopsy of)
Some of Tamsin’s most recent research publications include:
- Drake T, Voss J, Matthews H, Jenkins J, Tang S, Doherty J, Chan K, Dawe H, Thomas T, Kearley S, Manners J, Carter C, Al-Buheissi S, Klatte T. “Chest computed tomography for staging renal tumours: validation and simplification of a risk preduction model from a large contemporary retrospective cohort.” BJU International 2020. doi:10.1111/bju.15001
- Maclean D, Harris M, Drake T, Maher B, Modi S, Dyer J, Somani B, Hacking N, Bryant T. “Factors predicting good symptomatic outcomes after prostate artery embolisation (PAE)”. Cardiovascular Interventional Radiology 2018 August. Doi: 10.1007/s00270-018-0912-5
- Drake T, Grivas N, Dabestani S, Knoll T, Lam T, MacLennan S, Petrik A, Skolarikos A, Straub M, Tuerk C, Sarica K. “What are the benefits and harms of ureteroscopy (URS) compared with shock-wave lithotripsy (SWL) in the treatment of upper ureteral stones (UUS): A systematic review.” European Urology 2017 April; 72(5): 772-786
- Drake T, Hanna L, Davies M. “10 minute Consultation: Haematospermia” BMJ 2016; 355: i5124
- Drake T, Rustom J, Davies MC. “10-minute Consultation: Phimosis in Childhood” BMJ 2013; 346:f3678
- Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- European Association of Urological Surgeons
Other posts held
- Consultant Urologist, Royal Bournemouth Hospital and Christchurch Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Miss Tamsin Drake works with
Miss Tamsin Drake works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- Healix Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Miss Tamsin Drake does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Miss Tamsin Drake does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Miss Tamsin Drake does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.