At Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital our Consultants specialise in a range of endoscopic procedures and regularly perform colonoscopies, offering rapid access to treatment and exceptional diagnostic accuracy.
Why choose Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital for a private colonoscopy?
Are you in need of a colonoscopy procedure? You can skip the waiting lists and get rapid access to a private colonoscopy at Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital. Our specialist Gastroenterologists are experts in diagnostic scans and you can expect to receive a detailed diagnosis and the findings from your procedure as quickly as possible.
We understand that undergoing any surgical treatment can be a stressful experience. At Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital we are proud of our high patient satisfaction scores and ensure that your stay in hospital is comfortable, stress-free and as smooth as possible. Our consultants are fully supported by our attentive matron-led nursing team, who contribute to our pleasant hospital environment and help deliver our first-class patient-centred care.
What is a colonoscopy?
- A colonoscopy is a test regularly carried out at our Bournemouth Hospital that allows our consultant to look at the inner lining of your large intestine, (rectum and colon)
- We use a thin, flexible tube called a colonoscope to look at the colon
- A colonoscopy helps identify conditions such as ulcers, colon polyps, tumours and inflamed areas of inflammation.
Are there any alternatives to a colonoscopy?
Yes, other options can include a barium enema (an x-ray of the large bowel) or a CT colography (a special scan of the large bowel).
What does a colonoscopy procedure involve?
- If appropriate, the endoscopist may offer you a sedative or painkiller
- A colonoscopy usually takes between half an hour and three-quarters of an hour
- The procedure involves placing a flexible telescope into the back passage and blowing some air into the large bowel to get a clear view
- The endoscopist will be able to look for problems such as inflammation or polyps
- They will be able to perform biopsies and take photographs to help make the diagnosis.
What complications can happen?
- Allergic reaction
- Breathing difficulties or heart irregularities
- Making a hole in the colon
- Incomplete procedure.
How soon will I recover from my colonoscopy at Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital?
- If you were given a sedative, you will normally recover in approximately 2 hours.
- You may feel a bit bloated for a few hours but this will pass.
- Your consultant will report back to you the findings of your colonoscopy.
- Most of our patients are able to go back to work within 24 hours of the colonoscopy unless they get told otherwise.
- If you were given a sedative, a responsible adult should take you home in a car or taxi and stay with you for at least 12 hours. Be near a telephone in the case of an emergency.
- Do not drive, operate machinery or do any potentially dangerous activities (this includes cooking) for at least 24 hours and not until you have fully recovered feeling, movement and co-ordination. You should also not sign legal documents or drink alcohol for at least 24 hours.
A colonoscopy is usually a very safe and effective way of finding out if you have a problem with your large bowel.
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
|Initial consultation||from £200|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£1,910|
The guide price stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway. You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more