- Specialities General (Internal) Medicine, Gastroenterology
- Telephone 01202 702 823
- Year of first qualification 1996
- Email Susan.Berenyi@nuffieldhealth.com
- GMC Number 4256001
- Fax 01202 317 141
Dr Charles Gordon trained at St George’s Hospital Medical School (London), graduating in 1995. He undertook his specialist training in Gastroenterology and General (Internal) Medicine in South West Thames, including research in Barrett’s oesophagus. He was appointed as a Consultant Gastroenterologist in 2008
Dr Gordon is the Clinical Lead for Endoscopy (performing over 800 procedures per year) and upper GI Physiology. He is an experienced endoscopist, both upper GI and colonoscopy,and regularly performs upper and lower GI therapeutics. He chairs various committees including the Dorset cancer Network (Upper GI)
His areas of specialist interest include endoscopy, reflux disease, heartburn, hiatus hernia, colonoscopy and irritable bowel syndrome. He is recognised nationally for his work in Barrett’s oesophagus (a pre malignant condition of the oesophagus) and has introduced HALO RadioFrequency Ablation for the treatment of Barrett’s oesophagus (currently the 8th largest provider in the UK).
- Every Tuesday 14:00 - 21:00
- Consultant Gastroenterologist at Royal Bournemouth Hospital
- Upper GI Gastroscopy (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Colonoscopy and Flexible Sigmoidoscopy (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection
- Endoscopic Ablation of Barrett’s oesophagus (including HALO radiofrequency ablation)
- Reflux disease
- Abdominal Pain
- Hiatus hernia
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- GI physiology
- Oesophageal acid testing
- Oesophageal manometry
- Coeliac disease
- Crohn's disease
- Barrett's Oesophagus
Country sports-keen clay pigeon shot and rough shooter, sea fishing, grade 7 clarinet, mountain biking, canal boats, Francophile and cooking.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- British Medical Association
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London)
- European Society Of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Medical Protection Society
Dr Gordon completed two years of full time clinical research at St. George’s Hospital (London). His research investigated the role of lifestyle and genetic factors in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and Barrett’s oesophagus; of particular note he investigated the role of meals and sleep position in heartburn/reflux, and how modifications of these impacted on quality of life.
As a consultant Dr Gordon remains active in research into the diagnosis, endoscopic evaluation (especially dye spray endoscopy) and treatment of Barrett’s oesophagus. He has contributed to national guidelines (BADCAT), international research publications, and teaches on national courses.
DeclarationDr Charles Gordon works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP International
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Freedom Health
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Charles Gordon does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Charles Gordon does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Charles Gordon does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.