Tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty) in Plymouth
At Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital our vastly experienced cosmetic surgeons specialise in carrying out tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty). We also provide rapid access to private treatment, as well as offering thorough aftercare support. Read more…
Contact our cosmetic experts in Plymouth
Fill in the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Why choose Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital for your tummy tuck surgery?
Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital boasts a team of cosmetic surgeons who expertly perform abdominoplasty procedures, (commonly known as tummy tucks) to the highest clinical standards.
Our skilled surgeons are renowned for their excellent cosmetic outcomes and comforting professional manner. You will see the same cosmetic consultant throughout your patient journey and will benefit from a treatment plan completely tailored to you.
We pride ourselves on delivering a superb patient experience and our inpatient rooms do not disappoint. Each private room includes an en-suite bathroom, widescreen TV, modern decor and unlimited wireless internet connectivity.
Before going ahead with any form of surgery, we strongly recommend that you undergo an thorough consultation with one of our cosmetic surgeons, to ensure that you are fully informed before making a potentially life changing decision.
Is a tummy tuck right for me?
- You are most likely to benefit from a tummy tuck if you are self-conscious about what your abdomen looks like
- This is sometimes because the skin of the abdomen does not shrink back after pregnancy or after losing a lot of weight
- This procedure is not appropriate for people who are over weight or as an attempt to lose weight
- Your surgeon in Plymouth will carry out a thorough assessment before deciding if surgery is suitable for you
- The operation is performed under a general anaesthetic and usually takes between 2 - 5 hours.
The different options available:
- Full abdominoplasty - is suitable if you have a lot of excess skin. Your surgeon will make a curved cut from one hip to the other. They will remove any excess skin and fat. Your surgeon will then cut under the skin above your umbilicus (belly button), pulling it downwards and tightening it. Sometimes they will need to reconstruct your umbilicus and tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall
- Mini abdominoplasty - is suitable if you only have a little excess skin. Your surgeon will only need to make a small cut just above the pubic area to remove the excess skin
- Endoscopic abdominoplasty - is suitable if you only need to have the muscles of your abdominal wall tightened. Your surgeon will make small cuts and use special surgical instruments to tighten the muscles.
Going home after having an abdominoplasty
- The length of your hospital stay depends on which procedure is performed
- With full abdominoplasty you should be able to go home after 2 - 3 days
- You may have dressings and drains (plastic tubes) coming out of both sides of your abdomen
- The drains area usually removed before you leave hospital
- You will be given post-operative pain killers
- Most patients are mobile from day one and return to normal activities within 6 weeks
- We recommend discussing returning to work with your surgeon
- The results of an abdominoplasty improve gradually over the first 6 months
- To achieve the best outcome patients should maintain a balanced diet and exercise regularly.
Most people make a good recovery and return to normal activities. However, although rare, as with any surgery there can be complications:
- Developing a swelling
- Numbness or persistent pain
- Cosmetic problems.
Tummy tuck - The costs
- The cost of tummy tuck surgery may be more affordable than you think
- Our treatment prices are inclusive of all costs, with no hidden surprises
- You have the option to pay for your procedure as a one off payment, or if preferred you may be eligible for an interest free loan
- We are confident that the price for your treatment at Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital will be competitive
- We are proud to deliver outstanding clinical care at a fair price
- For the cost of a tummy tuck procedure at Plymouth Hospital see above.
To achieve the best results from any type of plastic surgery, whether it is breast enhancement, liposuction, a face lift or tummy tuck, it is important to do your research first. Mr Darren Lewis provides some tips for what to ask before surgery.