Get rapid access to first class hernia repair surgery, performed by our leading general surgeons, at Nuffield Heath Cambridge Hospital.
Why choose Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital for your hernia repair surgery?
At Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital our experienced general surgeons can quickly identify the type of hernia you have and recommend the most effective procedure to remove it without causing unnecessary discomfort. All of our hernia experts can provide you with rapid access to treatment with a personalised treatment plan unique to you.
Our brand new hospital in Cambridge has built a fantastic reputation for consistently delivering first-class private healthcare. Our state-of-the-art facilities have attracted some of the best general surgeons in the region, who are able to perform a wide range of general medical treatments less-invasively and more efficiently, reducing your time spent in hospital.
How to book a private consultation at Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital
Booking a consultation to see one of our general surgeons in Cambridge is easy. Simply call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01223 851 954 and they will book you a consultation at a time and date convenient for you.
Alternatively, if you are unsure about the consultation process or the different types of hernia repair surgery, our enquiry team will be more than happy to answer your questions.
What types of hernias can you repair?
There are 2 common types of hernias that we can repair, hernia bilateral and hernia unilateral.
This form of hernia presents itself on both sides of the groin area or lower abdomen at the same time.
- This type of hernia occurs on one side of the body
- In men, an inguinal hernia happens at the inguinal canal. This is a narrow passage in which blood vessels supplying the testicle pass through the abdominal wall
- More common in women, a femoral hernia appears in the groin
- Femoral hernias happen at the hole in the wall of the abdomen where the femoral artery and vein pass from the abdomen into the leg
- These hernias tend to occur following childbirth.
What happens during hernia repair surgery in Cambridge?
We can perform two types of surgery, both with quick recovery times. You may not even need to stay in hospital overnight.
- Open repair surgery takes about 1 hour and a variety of anaesthetics may be used
- Your surgeon will make an incision in your groin and remove the "hernial sac"
- To strengthen the muscle layer, stitches will be used
- They insert a synthetic mesh to cover the weak spot
- Open surgery for groin hernia repair is usually done as a day case meaning you can go home same day.
Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery
- This procedure is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- It normally takes about 1 hour
- A laparoscope (tiny telescope) connected to a camera will be inserted via a very small tube (cannula) to allow your surgeon to close the weak spot from inside your abdomen
- They will use a piece of surgical mesh and surgical staples to reinforce the area
- You will probably go home the day of the surgery or you may spend 1 night in hospital.
How quick is recovery?
- Recovery from hernia repair surgery is usually very quick
- You'll be mobile very soon after the procedure and will be encouraged to increase how much you walk around over the first few days post surgery
- Most patients return to normal daily activities within a week
- Your consultant in Cambridge will inform you of any specific "dos and don'ts", depending on your type of hernia and the chosen surgery.
Are there any risks with hernia repair?
As with all operations, hernia repair surgery has a risk of complications. Be sure to discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon.
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
|Initial consultation||from £200|
|Diagnostics||If needed to determine treatment plan|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£2,835|
The guide price
stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price
may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any
pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway.
You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following
your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more