Prof. Heiss is a clinical academic at the University of Surrey and practices Interventional Vascular Medicine at East Surrey Hospital, Redhill, and Nuffield Health Guildford. He is a Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine, Head of Clinical Medicine Section and Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC).
He trained in translational cardiovascular research, internal medicine, interventional vascular medicine and cardiology. After medical school and dissertation (Dr. med.) at Heinrich-Heine University Düsseldorf (Germany) and internship at Texas Heart Institute (Houston, USA), he was a post-doctoral research fellow (Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Düsseldorf Germany), American Heart Association molecular cardiology research fellow (Department of Cardiology, University of California San Francisco, USA) and affiliated nutrition research faculty (Nutrition Department, University of California Davis, USA). He then returned to Germany and completed his clinical training at the University of Aachen und University of Düsseldorf. After his habilitation, he became a Professor of Internal and Vascular Medicine at the University of Düsseldorf and headed the Vascular Medicine Program in the Department of Cardiology, Pulmonology, and Vascular Medicine.
His clinical work focuses on the personalised and integrated prevention and treatment of complex multi-level atherosclerosis in particular peripheral artery disease, non-healing wounds and critical limb ischaemia. As one of the few interventionally trained angiologists in the country, his expertise includes most state-of-the-art endovascular lower limb revascularisation techniques such as recanalisation of chronic total vessel occlusion, angioplasty, rotational atherectomy, drug coated balloons and stents. Nowadays, most procedures can be safely and effectively performed as day cases.
Treatments and tests offered by Prof. Dr. med. Christian Heiss at Nuffield Health
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Artery Assessment
- Cardiovascular risk profile
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Royal Society of Medicine (Elected member of Vascular, Lipid and Metabolic Medicine Council)
- European Society of Cardiology, Elected nucleus member and communications officer of the Working Group on Aorta and Peripheral Circulation, Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- German Society of Vascular Medicine, Member of Advisory Board
- European Society of Vascular Medicine, Board Member, Deputy Chair Guideline Committee, Chair Fellowship Committee
- Association of German Internists
- VAS (Vascular – Independent Research and Education - European Organisation), Member of Advisory Board
- European Union of Medical Specialties (UEMS), voting representative in the Board of Division of Vascular Medicine
- British Cardiovascular Society
- Society for Free Radical Research - Europe
- German Society of Cardiology
- University Ethic Committee, University of Surrey
- Research and Development Committee, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS trust
Other post held
- Consultant in Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, East Surrey Hospital, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, Redhill
- Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine and Head of Clinical Medicine Section, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Surrey
Prof. Dr. med. Christian Heiss does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Prof. Dr. med. Christian Heiss does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Prof. Dr. med. Christian Heiss does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.