Mr Tierney is a consultant ENT surgeon working in Bristol. He treats a wide range of ENT disorders (including rhinoplasty) and has subspecialty interests in head and neck surgery and diseases of the nose and sinuses. He also works with professional voice users and performing artists and founded the North Bristol Specialist Voice Clinic.
He has been chairman of the head and neck cancer network for Avon, Somerset and Wiltshire and is the governance and audit lead for his department. At present he is the clinical lead in implementation of the restructuring of ENT services within the city of Bristol.
Mr Tierney graduated from Oxford University in 1989. After a teaching post at St George’s Hospital London, he completed his basic surgical training with posts at St Mary’s Hospital, King’s College Hospital and the Royal Marsden Hospital. He then undertook specialist surgical ENT training at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals. This involved specialist experience in sinus surgery, hearing and balance disorders and thyroid surgery. He also undertook a specialist post in paediatric ENT surgery at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
He underwent specialist training as a fellow at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, Australia. At the completion of training he was awarded the Royal Society of Medicine Gold Medal in Laryngology as the highest placed candidate in the ENT intercollegiate exam.
Paul was appointed as a consultant in Bristol in 2002. He has subsequently developed a specialist practice in the management of complex head and neck surgery and sinus disease. This tertiary practise covers patients throughout the South West.
Mr Tierney is a faculty lead for teaching on a number of postgraduate surgical courses and has published on a wide range of ENT conditions and their treatments. He also carries out general ENT clinics and surgery.
Skiing, sailing and tennis
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Paul Tierney at Nuffield Health
- Deviated septum (Septoplasty)
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Grommet insertion
- Middle ear surgery
- Otoplasty (ear correction / ear repositioning)
- Nose reshaping (Rhinoplasty) surgery
- Patient recorded outcome measures
- Voice analysis and quality of life following treatment for early laryngeal cancer
- Voice rest after laryngeal surgery
- Outcome after vocal cord medialisation
- Quality of life in oropharyngeal carcinoma
- The effects of chemoradiation on stroke risk in patients
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Association of Otolaryngologists, Head and Neck Surgeons
- Council member British Laryngological Association
Other post held
- Honorary Consultant Otolaryngologist, Bristol Royal Infirmary
- Honorary Consultant Otolaryngologist, Royal Hospital for Children, Bristol
- Honorary Consultant Otolaryngologist, Weston General Hospital
- Honorary Senior Lecturer in Otolaryngology, University of Bristol
- Consultant Otolaryngologist, Southmead Hospital
Mr Paul Tierney does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Paul Tierney does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Paul Tierney does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.