Mr Barrett is an orthopaedic surgeon with a specialist interest in all aspects of shoulder and elbow problems, from sports injuries to arthritis.
Mr Barrett graduated from Cardiff Medical School and went on to complete his higher orthopaedic surgical training in the Wessex region. After training he completed a specialist shoulder and elbow fellowship in Auckland, New Zealand, working with an internationally leading surgeon, Mr Peter Poon.
Mr Barrett was appointed as a Trauma and Orthopaedic Consultant at Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester in 2019, where he specialises in shoulder, elbow and trauma surgery. He is actively involved in teaching and training in the department.
- Shoulder arthritis
- Primary, complex and revision shoulder replacements
- Custom shoulder replacements
- Shoulder subacromial pain (impingement)
- Rotator cuff tendon issues
- Shoulder instability
- Frozen shoulder
- Biceps problems
- Acromioclavicular joint problems
- Tennis and Golfer’s elbow
- Elbow ligament injuries
- Elbow stiffness
Mr Barrett lives with his family in Poole and outside of work he enjoys running, sea swimming, kitesurfing and skiing.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Matthew Barrett at Nuffield Health
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Joint resurfacing
- Shoulder decompression - keyhole surgery
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Elbow surgery
- Trauma Surgery
- Bone Graft
- British Shoulder & Elbow Society
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Royal College of Surgeons
Other posts held
- Dorset County Hospital Dorchester Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Insurers Mr Matthew Barrett works with
Mr Matthew Barrett works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- Cigna International
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Healix Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Matthew Barrett does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Matthew Barrett does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Matthew Barrett does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.