Dr Middleton qualified in 1984, having trained in London and Cambridge and has over 20 years of research and clinical practice in Cambridge.
Interested in motility disorders of the gut:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Crohns and ulcerative colitis
- Dyspepsia and swallowing problems
- Colonoscopy and endoscopy diagnostic and therapeutic
- Motility disorders
Dr Middleton is the lead physician for dyspepsia and dysphagia and director of the gastrointestinal motility service and irritable bowel syndrome service with a particular interest in nutritional therapy for Crohn's disease and extensive research and clinical experience in inflammatory bowel disease.
He enjoys sailing, fly fishing, history, rugby, travel and is a keen hill walker.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Stephen Middleton at Nuffield Health
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
Dr Middleton has over 50 peer reviewed publications in medical and scientific journals and has conducted research in the fields of the irritable bowel syndrome and motility disorders, colitis and Crohn’s disease, and cancer detection as well as transplantation.
Dr Middleton has a strong interest in nutrition and small intestinal failure, and has a lead role in the UK small intestinal transplantation programme. He co-founded the National Adult Small Intestinal Transplantation Forum (NASIT forum) and currently co- chairs this forum which is the national meeting for discussing and listing patients for transplantation.
He is the lead physician for motility disorders of the gastrointestinal tract at Addenbrooke’s hospital including the Irritable bowel syndrome, disorders of swallowing and motility disorders of the stomach and large bowel. He has established multidisciplinary teams in these areas and has introduced new treatments such as Biofeedback for constipation and incontinence.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- National Association for Small Intestinal Transplantation
- National Association for Colitis and Crohn's Disease
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians
- British Medical Association
- Medical Defence Union
- American Gastroenterology Association
- Fellow of the Academy for Higher Education
- British Neurogastroenterology Society
Other post held
- Consultant at Addenbrookes NHS Trust Hospital Cambridge
Insurers Dr Stephen Middleton works with
Dr Stephen Middleton works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Stephen Middleton does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Stephen Middleton does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Stephen Middleton does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.