Are you struggling with prolonged shoulder pain? At Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital our experienced orthopaedic upper limb surgeons can diagnose your shoulder condition and provide rapid access to a shoulder replacement if necessary.
Why choose Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital for your shoulder replacement surgery?
At Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital our leading upper limb joint surgeons excel in shoulder surgery, and can provide you with shoulder replacement surgery through a treatment plan entirely personalised to you, without the wait.
If you have a labour intensive job or are regularly picking up heavy objects, your shoulder joint may begin to wear over time. Shoulder pain can also be linked to osteoarthritis in your shoulder joint which can be extremely painful and worsen with age.
Our exceptional team of orthopaedic surgeons are renowned for their impressive surgical accuracy and have built a robust reputation in Warwickshire for helping patients relieve their pain whilst regaining mobility and an increased range of movement in their shoulder.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital
If you are struggling with shoulder pain and want advice on the treatment options available, you will need to book a consultation with one of our orthopaedic consultants. To book, simply call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01926 436 351.
Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging needed.
What does shoulder replacement surgery involve?
- Shoulder replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The operation usually takes about 2 hours
- Local anaesthetic may also be put into the joint to help with pain control following your surgery
- Your surgeon will make a cut on the front of your shoulder and remove the damaged ball (head of the humerus)
- They will replace the ball and sometimes also the socket
- They may also make any necessary repairs to your rotator cuff tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to a bone)
- They will close your wound and a dressing may be applied. Your arm will be in a sling. Most patients stay in hospital 1 – 2 nights
- A physiotherapist will visit you before you leave hospital to show you gentle exercises
- You will not be able to use your operated hand for up to 6 weeks following your surgery
- Be sure and discuss any concerns you have about daily activities with our care team before you leave.
Going home after your shoulder replacement surgery
- Your shoulder will be sore and swollen for several weeks
- You should take any pain killers regularly to stay ahead of pain and help you get mobile
- Use ice packs or a package of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to help reduce any swelling in your shoulder
- Keep your wound clean and dry until your follow-up appointment
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding increasing your range of motion or decreasing the use of your sling
- Over the next few months you will work with a physiotherapist to progress to more vigorous exercise
- It is important to keep up your exercises so that your shoulder does not become stiff
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding lift or reaching
- It can take up to 6 months to see significant improvement
- Range of motion and strength in your shoulder will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
With any surgical procedure there can be complications including:
- Infection in the surgical site (incision) or joint
- Chest infection
- Heart attack or stroke.
Specific complications of shoulder replacement include:
- Nerve injury
- Fracture of the upper arm
- Rotator cuff tears
- Loosening of the joint.
The Chase, Old Milverton Lane, Leamington Spa, CV32 6RW
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more