What is a HyCoSy?
HyCoSy, short for hysterosalpingo contrast sonography, is a type of ultrasound procedure to examine the fallopian tubes, as well as the uterus and ovaries, to check for abnormalities.
What are the benefits of a HyCoSy?
It provides a better view of the fallopian tubes than an internal ultrasound alone. It's also very safe as it doesn’t require an X-ray.
Is a HyCoSy right for me?
This procedure is suitable for those who:
- are having difficulty getting pregnant and would like to test the patency (state of being clear or blocked) of their fallopian tubes
- would like to undergo inter-uterine insemination (IUI)
- have endometriosis, pelvic infection or appendicitis.
What happens during a HyCoSy?
A HyCoSy is a transvaginal (internal) procedure that takes around half an hour:
- First you’ll have an internal ultrasound scan, so the doctor can take measurements of your uterus and ovaries. To do this, a speculum is placed in your vagina, similar to a smear test, and the ultrasound probe is inserted
- Then, guided by ultrasound, a thin tube (catheter) is passed into your womb and a small amount of saline is injected to look for any abnormalities, such as polyps or fibroids (aqua scan).
- Next, a sulphur-based dye is injected through the catheter into the womb and the fallopian tubes to examine them, also tracked using ultrasound.
Does a HyCoSy hurt?
A HyCoSy is unlikely to be painful, but you may feel some discomfort, similar to period cramps, during and for a short time afterwards, which can vary from woman to woman.
What happens after a HyCoSy?
You’ll be asked to wait a few minutes afterwards to make sure you don’t have a reaction to the dye. You’ll also need someone to drive you home afterwards in case you feel unwell.
Once you’re home, you should rest for a few hours. You may experience some light spotting, in which case you’ll need to use a sanitary towel – tampons may increase your risk of infection.
Junction Road, Norton, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1PX
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more