Eye clinic at Edinburgh Hospital
At Nuffield Health Edinburgh Hospital we offer a specialist Eye Clinic for fast access to appointments with Consultant Ophthalmologists.
If you are an insured patient, with a simple referral from your Optometrist or GP you can access a wide range of private assessment, diagnosis and treatment services. If you are a self paying patient, you are able to self-refer.
Conditions we can help with
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Watery eyes
- Dry eyes
We offer a wide range of assessments for your eyes. Our approach combines the skills of our specialist consultants and specialist ophthalmic nurse with the latest diagnostic technology and the highest standards of patient care.
Our consultants offer:
- Biometry: to measure the size and shape of the lens of the eye prior to cataract or refractive surgery. At The Edinburgh Clinic this is done using the Haag Streit LENSTAR® LS 900 Optical Biometer
- A-scan ultrasound biometry: to provide data on the length of the eye, to assist with lens power calculations. Typically used for those with dense or advanced cataracts
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT): non-invasive tool for cross-sectional and 3D imaging of the retina and optic disc Visual acuity: to monitor the level of vision in your eyes
- Pachymetry: to measure the central corneal thickness (CCT). Used to help glaucoma diagnosis and management, as the CCT can influence the intraocular pressure readings
- Goldman Tonometry: this is considered to be the Gold Standard when measuring intraocular pressure, used in the diagnosis and management of glaucoma patients
- Gonioscopy: This is a measurement taken of the angle of where the iris meets the cornea. Used in the diagnosis of glaucoma, to differentiate between open and closed-angle glaucoma
- MRI and CT: orbital assessment for the identification of tumours, haemorrhage, infection and disease.