Our experienced upper limb orthopaedic surgeons specialise in shoulder replacement surgery and can provide you with rapid access to treatment at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital
Why choose Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital for your shoulder replacement surgery?
At Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital our expert upper limb orthopaedic surgeons excel in shoulder replacement surgery. With a personalised treatment plan tailored to you, our skilled orthopaedic surgeons will be with you every step of the way, from your initial consultation right through to your aftercare.
Our private hospital in Gloucestershire is conveniently located on the outskirts of Cheltenham, allowing us to provide plenty of free parking with easy accessibility from local transport links. Our state-of-the-art hospital has attracted a number of highly experienced orthopaedic surgeons, who take full advantage of our range of equipment and first class medical facilities.
At Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital we regularly hold orthopaedic open events which are completely free of charge for the public to attend. At our informative events, you will get the opportunity to meet an orthopaedic surgeon, find out more information about a particular procedure and ask any questions you may have about the hospital or treatment you are interested in.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital
If you are suffering from shoulder pain and want to discuss your treatment options with one of our consultants in Cheltenham, you will need to book a private consultation via our dedicated enquiry team on 01242 246 552. Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there may be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging needed.
What happens during shoulder replacement surgery in Cheltenham?
- Shoulder replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The operation usually takes about 2 hours. Local anaesthetic may also be put into the joint to help with pain control following your surgery
- Your surgeon will make a cut on the front of your shoulder and remove the damaged ball (head of the humerus)
- They will replace the ball and sometimes also the socket
- They may also make any necessary repairs to your rotator cuff tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to a bone)
- They will close your wound and a dressing may be applied. Your arm will be in a sling. Most patients stay in hospital 1 – 2 nights
- A physiotherapist will visit you before you leave hospital to show you gentle exercises
- You will not be able to use your operated hand for up to 6 weeks following your surgery
- Be sure and discuss any concerns you have about daily activities with our care team before you leave.
Going home after your shoulder replacement surgery
- Your shoulder will be sore and swollen for several weeks
- You should take any pain killers regularly to stay ahead of pain and help you get mobile
- Use ice packs or a package of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to help reduce any swelling in your shoulder
- Keep your wound clean and dry until your follow-up appointment
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding increasing your range of motion or decreasing the use of your sling
- Over the next few months you will work with a physiotherapist to progress to more vigorous exercise
- It is important to keep up your exercises so that your shoulder does not become stiff
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding lift or reaching
- It can take up to 6 months to see significant improvement
- Range of motion and strength in your shoulder will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
With any surgical procedure there can be complications including:
- Infection in the surgical site (incision) or joint
- Chest infection
- Heart attack or stroke.
Specific complications of shoulder replacement include:
- Nerve injury
- Fracture of the upper arm
- Rotator cuff tears
- Loosening of the joint.
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 6SY
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more