Mr Ewan Bigsby FRCS (Tr&Orth), is an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in upper limb surgery. He treats both sports and degenerative conditions affecting the soft tissues and joints of the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand. He has an interest in teaching and training, and has completed a Masters degree in Medical Education at Bristol University. He also has a PhD and continues his research interests, publishing regularly on all aspects of trauma and orthopaedics, including shoulder and elbow replacement surgery. He holds a consultant post at Cheltenham General and Gloucester Royal Hospitals.
Mr Bigsby completed his undergraduate and initial postgraduate training in London before moving out of the capital. He undertook his higher orthopaedic training in the South-West, working in hospitals throughout Bristol and the surrounding area. Having completed his orthopaedic training, he spent a year in Christchurch, New Zealand gaining additional experience in both trauma and upper limb surgery, which included advanced arthroscopic techniques as well as open surgery.
Mr Bigsby treats all conditions that affect the upper limb, these include:
- Rotator cuff tears
- Shoulder impingement / bursitis
- Frozen shoulder
- Shoulder instability / dislocation
- Labral injuries
- SLAP tears
- Long head of biceps inflammation and injury
- Acromioclavicular joint (ACJ) arthritis
- ACJ injury
- Shoulder arthritis.
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer's elbow
- Distal biceps tendon rupture
- Elbow stiffness
- Elbow loose bodies
- Elbow arthritis and pain.
Hand & wrist conditions
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Dupuytrens disease
- Trigger finger / thumb
- Ganglia in the hand and wrist
- Base of thumb arthritis
- TFCC injuries
- Hand and wrist arthritis.
Upper limb surgery comprising shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand surgery
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Ewan Bigsby at Nuffield Health
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Carpal tunnel release
- Shoulder decompression - keyhole surgery
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Hand surgery
- Shoulder replacement
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Elbow surgery
- Dupuytren's fasciectomy
- Tennis elbow release
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Member of British Shoulder & Elbow Society
- Member of Medical Defence Union
Other posts held
- Consultant Upper Limb and Trauma Surgeon, Cheltenham General Hospital & Gloucester Royal Hospital
Insurers Mr Ewan Bigsby works with
Mr Ewan Bigsby works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Ewan Bigsby does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ewan Bigsby does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ewan Bigsby does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.