Professor Karanjia trained at Guy's Medical School in London, where he was awarded five medical school prizes. He gained 15 post-graduate awards and two Travelling Fellowships. Following Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, he undertook specialist training in minimal access surgery in France, Germany and Belgium.
He undertook an 18-month research project in California and this work resulted in the award of a Hunterian Professorship at the Royal College of Surgeons in England in 1990. His Master of Surgery thesis was awarded in that year.
He is qualified to perform a wide range of diagnostic investigations, surgical and laparoscopic techniques. His expertise is in liver, pancreatic and gallstone surgery and his recent five-year survival figures are amongst the highest published.
Professor Karanjia has served on national professional committees and councils including NICE. He completed a four-year term as Programme Director for South Thames West on the Surgical Training Committee. He has been elected to the Council of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. He has also been nominated to serve on the Surgical Advisory Committee for General Surgery as part of the Joint Committee for Higher Surgical Training.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Nariman Karanjia at Nuffield Health
- Liver resection
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatogram (or ERCP)
- Hernia repair
- Reflux surgery
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
Collectively, Professor Karanjia has written or his research has contributed to, 100 peer-reviewed articles and numerous oral presentations.
- Karanjia N.D, Lordan J.T, Fawcett W.J, Quiney N, Worthington T.R., Survival and Recurrence After Neo-adjuvant Chemotherapy and Liver Resection For Colorectal Metastases - A Ten Year Study, European Journal of Surgical Oncology, 2009, In Press.
He has been a surgical tutor for the Royal College of Surgeons England.
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons
- International Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Association
- Pancreatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Liver Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Coloproctology
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- European Association for Endoscopic Surgery
- Royal Society of Medicine: Sections of Surgery Coloproctology
Other post held
- Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Professor Nariman Karanjia does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Nariman Karanjia does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Nariman Karanjia does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.