Professor Rutter has extensive experience in the diagnosis and management of all gastrointestinal conditions, including indigestion, change in bowel habit and liver function. He is a Bowel Cancer Screening-Accredited Colonoscopist.
His particular areas of expertise include cancer detection and screening, inflammatory bowel disease and advanced gastrointestinal endoscopy.
He is co-author of many national and international guidelines for polyp screening, colonoscopic screening for cancer in inflammatory bowel disease, colonoscopy quality and inflammatory bowel disease.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Matt Rutter at Nuffield Health
- Colorectal screening
- Glucose breath test
- Urea Breath Test 13C
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
Professor Rutter has published extensively and lectured worldwide on quality in endoscopy, colorectal cancer screening and cancer surveillance in inflammatory bowel disease.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Other post held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, University Hospital of North Tees
- Professor of Gastroenterology, Durham University
- Clinical Director, Tees Bowel Cancer Screening Centre
- Chair, European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy quality improvement committee
- Chair, National Bowel Cancer Screening Programme Evaluation Group
- Regional Quality in Colonoscopy Screening Lead
- Co-director of Gastrointestinal Care Ltd
- Co-founder &
- Vice Chair of Northern Region Endoscopy Group
- Core faculty member of Regional Endoscopy Training Centre (JCUH)
- Gastroenterology Representative on the National Cancer Intelligence Network colorectal cancer subgroup
- Faculty Member of National Endoscopy Unit Peer-Review Team (JAG)
- National Bowel Cancer Screening Colonoscopist Accreditation Examiner
- Elected Member of BSG Endoscopy, and Endoscopy Research committees
- Committee Member of Bowel Cancer Screening QA group
Insurers Professor Matt Rutter works with
Professor Matt Rutter works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Professor Matt Rutter does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Matt Rutter does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Matt Rutter does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.