Professor J Peter A Lodge has been a consultant surgeon in Leeds since 1992, following on from training in the Yorkshire region and working at Harvard Medical School in Boston, USA.
He was awarded his Chair in Surgery in 2004 in recognition of his significant contributions to advances in surgical technique. Professor Lodge performs laparoscopic gastric bypass/weight loss surgery. He is an active member of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society.
Most recently, following intensive training in Copenhagen, Professor Peter Lodge has introduced modern Scandinavian techniques for this challenging surgery, with an emphasis on rapid recovery.
Professor Peter Lodge is recognised internationally as one of the world’s most experienced liver surgeons. He has created a major hepatobiliary service, taking referrals from all around the UK and from abroad, including other major hepatobiliary centres. He provides a service for difficult liver tumours, often taking on cases considered to be inoperable elsewhere, and also deals with complex biliary strictures and injuries to the liver and bile ducts, often laparoscopically. Read more about liver surgery at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital.
Professor Peter Lodge’s NHS and private patient programme has grown from six hepatic resections and two bile duct cases in 1992 to 350 major resections and up to 80 complex bile duct operations each year by 2010. He is frequently asked to lecture abroad, particularly about his work on liver cancer.
As a biliary specialist Professor Peter Lodge welcomes routine gallstone cases.
In addition to a busy clinical programme he runs a laboratory, actively researching to improve results in modern surgical techniques. Prof Lodge has also featured in Tatler magazine and Dr Christian Jesson’s magazine, 2015.
Professor Peter Lodge specialises in the following treatments, tests and scans at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital:
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Bile duct resection
- Gallbladder surgery
- Hernia surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Liver resection
- Liver surgery
- Weight loss (bariatric) surgery including sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass
Hepatobiliary surgery (surgery for diseases affecting the liver, gallbladder and bile ducts) and Bariatric (weight loss) surgery
Professor Peter Lodge was married in 1985 and he and his wife have 3 children and a springer spaniel. Peter also enjoys cooking.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Peter Lodge at Nuffield Health
- Obesity surgery (or weightloss surgery)
- Liver resection
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Weight loss surgery
- Hernia repair
- Gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Bile duct resection
Interests include organ preservation for transplantation and tumour immunology. Development of new surgical techniques and learning method
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons
- International Hepato-Pancreato Bilary Association
- Transplantation Society
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI)
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons (AUGIS)
- International Hepato-Pancreato Bilary Association (IHPBA)
- European and African Hepato-Pancreato Bilary Association (E-AHPBA)
- Americas Hepato-Pancreato Bilary Association (AHPBA)
- Great Britain and Ireland Hepato-Pancreato Bilary Association (GBIHPBA)
- European Surgical Society (ESA)
- British Transplantation Society
Other posts held
- Consultant Surgeon, St James’s University Hospital, Leeds Professor of Surgery, University of Leeds
- Consultant in Upper GI and HPB Surgery, Bradford Hospitals Foundation Trust
- Honorary Member of Faculty, Department of Surgery, Providence Hospital, Michigan, USA
Professor Peter Lodge does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Peter Lodge does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Peter Lodge does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.