Are you in need of shoulder replacement surgery? If so, our leading upper limb orthopaedic surgeons at Nuffield Health York Hospital can provide you with rapid access to surgery, through a treatment plan which is individually adapted to you.
Why choose Nuffield Health York Hospital for your shoulder replacement surgery?
If you suffer from continuous shoulder pain, you may have developed osteoarthritis in your shoulder joint which will gradually wear and worsen with age. At Nuffield Health York Hospital, our leading upper limb orthopaedic surgeons excel in shoulder replacement surgery which will help improve your shoulder's mobility and significantly reduce pain.
Nuffield Health York Hospital is conveniently situated on in the heart of York's historic city centre on Haxby Road. Even with our central location, we are still able to provide patients and visitors with an abundance of free parking, as well as easy access to local public transport links.
By choosing Nuffield Health York Hospital for your shoulder replacement surgery, you will be provided with your own individual bedroom to relax in before and after treatment. Each in-patient room features a radio, TV, free wireless internet and spacious en-suite bathroom to ensure that your time in hospital is both comfortable and private.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health York Hospital
After considering shoulder replacement surgery, you can begin your treatment journey by booking an initial consultation to discuss your treatment options with one of our experienced upper limb joint surgeons in York. To book, simply call our friendly hospital enquiry team on 01904 715 111, or fill out a contact form above.
Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging required.
What happens during shoulder replacement surgery?
- Shoulder replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The operation usually takes about 2 hours. Local anaesthetic may also be put into the joint to help with pain control following your surgery
- Your surgeon will make a cut on the front of your shoulder and remove the damaged ball (head of the humerus)
- They will replace the ball and sometimes also the socket
- They may also make any necessary repairs to your rotator cuff tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to a bone)
- They will close your wound and a dressing may be applied. Your arm will be in a sling
- Most patients stay in hospital 1 – 2 nights
- A physiotherapist will visit you before you leave hospital to show you gentle exercises
- You will not be able to use your operated hand for up to 6 weeks following your surgery
- Be sure and discuss any concerns you have about daily activities with our care team before you leave.
Going home after your shoulder replacement
- Your shoulder will be sore and swollen for several weeks
- You should take any pain killers regularly to stay ahead of pain and help you get mobile. Use ice packs or a package of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to help reduce any swelling in your shoulder
- Keep your wound clean and dry until your follow-up appointment. Follow any instructions you are given regarding increasing your range of motion or decreasing the use of your sling
- Over the next few months you will work with a physiotherapist to progress to more vigorous exercise. It is important to keep up your exercises so that your shoulder does not become stiff
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding lift or reaching
- It can take up to 6 months to see significant improvement. Range of motion and strength in your shoulder will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
With any surgical procedure there can be complications including:
- Infection in the surgical site (incision) or joint
- Chest infection
- Heart attack or stroke
Specific complications of shoulder replacement:
- Nerve injury
- Fracture of the upper arm
- Rotator cuff tears
- Loosening of the joint.
Haxby Road, York, YO31 8TA
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more