If you are suffering from vaginal prolapse, our expert gynaecologists in Wolverhampton are here to help. They specialise in vaginal prolapse surgery and are able to provide rapid access to treatment.
Why choose Nuffield Health Wolverhampton Hospital for your vaginal prolapse repair?
A vaginal prolapse is very common in women who have had a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus). This is because the uterus supports the top of your vagina. Other causes include childbirth and hormonal changes in menopause. If your vaginal prolapse does not respond to conservative treatment, your consultant in Wolverhampton may recommend vaginal prolapse surgery.
At Nuffield Health Wolverhampton Hospital our leading gynaecologists specialise in vaginal prolapse surgery, providing you with expert advice and a comprehensive treatment plan which is tailored to you and your women's health needs.
Our attentive matron-led nursing team work closely with our gynaecologists and are at hand to deliver 24-7 support, ensuring that your stay in hospital is relaxed, comfortable and efficient. You can rest assured that you will be in the best possible care for your vaginal prolapse procedure.
What happens during vaginal prolapse surgery at Nuffield Health Wolverhampton Hospital?
- Vaginal prolapse surgery is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- In some cases it can be performed as laparoscopic surgery
- The length of the procedure will depend on the extent of your prolapse
- Your consultant will make incisions inside your vagina and strengthen the supporting tissues with stitches. They may make repairs to both the back and front vaginal walls
- Additional supporting stitches may be needed may be needed at the top of your vagina or into your cervix. In some cases surgical mesh may be used. Any wounds will be closed using dissolvable staples
- At the end of your procedure they may insert a catheter into your bladder to drain urine and your vagina may be packed with material to prevent bleeding. These will be removed in 1-2 days
- You may need to stay in our Wolverhampton hospital for 3-5 days. Be sure and let a member of our healthcare team know if you are in any pain. You will be able to go home once you are able to move about confidently and you can pass urine with no problem.
Going home after vaginal prolapse surgery in Wolverhampton
- You will not be able to drive until release to do so by your consultant. Please arrange for someone to take you home on your day of discharge
- You will need to rest and recover for several weeks. Take over the counter pain relief such as paracetamol as needed for any post-operative pain
- You may experience light vaginal bleeding for up to 2 weeks
- You should avoid lifting anything heavy including shopping, laundry or young children for the first 2-4 weeks. In addition you should avoid any strenuous sports activities for at least 4 weeks
- Any stitches you have will dissolve in about 10-14 days. There is no need to remove them.
Most women make a good recovery from vaginal prolapse surgery. As with any operation there can be complications:
- Blood clots (deep vein thrombosis).
Specific complications of vaginal prolapse surgery include:
- Perforation of bladder or rectum
- Injury to the uterus
- Recurrence of symptoms.
Wood Road, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, WV6 8LE
|Initial consultation||from £180|
|Diagnostics||If needed to determine treatment plan|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£6,755|
The guide price
stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price
may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any
pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway.
You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following
your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more