Hysterectomy surgery in Tunbridge Wells
Or call us on
At Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells Hospital, our experienced gynaecologists specialise in all types of hysterectomy surgery. They provide rapid access to treatment.
Why choose Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells Hospital for your hysterectomy surgery?
At Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells Hospital our leading gynaecology consultants can provide you with expert advice and rapid access to hysterectomy surgery through a treatment plan thats personalised to you.
Our recently refurbished hospital in Tunbridge Wells houses state-of the-art facilities which allow our gynaecologists to perform a range of women's health services to the highest degree of clinical standards.
Our consultants pride themselves on the high level of satisfaction patients express with their results from surgery and are well supported by our first class matron-led nursing team.
Vaginal hysterectomy in Tunbridge Wells
- Your surgeon in Tunbridge Wells may recommend a vaginal hysterectomy if your uterus and cervix are being removed
- A vaginal hysterectomy is usually performed using general anaesthetic (you'll be asleep) and takes about one hour
- Your surgeon will access your uterus through a hole in the wall of your vagina
- Your uterus and cervix will be pulled forward and using special instruments they will remove your uterus and the ligaments that hold it in place along with your cervix
- The wound will be closed using dissolvable stitches
- You may have a gauze dressing in your vagina to help control any bleeding
- You may have a catheter (tube to help you pass urine from your bladder) in place
- This is usually removed the day after your surgery.
Abdominal hysterectomy in Tunbridge Wells
- An abdominal hysterectomy is usually performed using general anaesthetic (you'll be asleep)
- The length of your surgery will depend on why you are having your hysterectomy
- Your surgeon will make an incision (cut) in your abdomen (stomach)
- The incision may be horizontal along your bikini line or vertical from your navel (belly button) to your bikini line
- They will remove your uterus and any other reproductive organs that may be causing symptoms
- Your wound will be closed using stitches or staples
- There may be a drainage tube in your wound that will be removed before you leave hospital
- Dressings may be used to cover and protect your wound
- You may also have a catheter (tube that drains your urine from your bladder) in place that will also be removed the day after surgery.
Laparoscopic (keyhole) hysterectomy in Tunbridge Wells
- A laparoscopic hysterectomy is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- It takes between 60 - 90 minutes
- Your surgeon will make several small incisions (cuts) in your abdomen (stomach)
- To ensure your surgeon has room to work your abdomen will be inflated with carbon dioxide gas
- Surgical instruments and a long, thin tube connected to a light and camera will be inserted in the incisions in your abdomen
- Your surgeon will also make a small incision around your cervix and use instruments to remove your womb and cervix through your vagina
- Your wounds will be closed with stitches or staples.
Will it take long to recover?
- Most women make a good recovery from a hysterectomy in 6 - 8 weeks
- Your length of stay in hospital and recovery time will depend on your own situation and the type of hysterectomy you have
- You may need to stay in hospital for a few nights
- We will encourage you to get out of bed and take short walks as soon as possible following your surgery
- You will be given pain relief medication but be sure to let us know if you are still experiencing any discomfort
- Once we discharge you, somebody will need to take you home
- Your may be sore and suffer some bruising, which is perfectly normal
- You should rest and limit your activity
- Avoid strenuous activity and any heavy lifting
- Take any pain relief medications as prescribed
- Move around at home several times per day to avoid the formation of blood clots
- Be sure and discuss any return to work with your consultant.
Are there any risks involved?
As with any surgical procedure there could be complications from undergoing a hysterectomy. Your consultant in Tunbridge Wells will talk you through any possible risks or complications before your surgery.
Hysterectomy consultants at Tunbridge Wells Hospital
Kingswood Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN2 4UL
|Initial consultation||from £170|
|Diagnostics||If needed to determine treatment plan|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£9,280|
The guide price
stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price
may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any
pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway.
You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following
your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Nuffield Health promise
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more