Tunbridge Wells Hospital Competition & Markets Authority Declaration
Hospital services provided for consultants
In accordance with the requirements of the Competition & Markets Authority Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (the Order) the details of services offered by the hospital to our consultant partners are detailed below.
Consulting rooms are made available to referring clinicians or those that hold practising privileges at the hospital at a rate of £22.25 per hour or part thereof, which represents a fair market rate. Consulting rooms are made available on a non-discriminatory basis and on equivalent terms in accordance with the Order.
Discounts are made available for all consulting room users, discounts can be accessed by:
- Agreeing to prompt payment terms for the settlement of invoices (-20%)
- Advance payment of quarterly consulting room requirements (-20%)
Both discounts are available to all consultants and can be combined to make a 40% discount in the aggregate.
Accommodation for consultants’ medical secretarial staff is also made available at this hospital at a rental rate of £150.00 per month, which represents a fair market rate. Such accommodation is provided on a non-discriminatory basis and on equivalent terms in accordance with the Order.
Medical secretarial services are made available to our consultant partners at a rate of £16.52 plus VAT per hour, which represents a fair market rate. Medical secretarial services are provided on a non-discriminatory basis and on equivalent terms in accordance with the Order.
All consultants are invited to attend an Annual General Meeting (AGM). The AGM is hosted offsite and food and drinks are provided. The total cost of the event was £7400.
The EAG (established in January 2016) supports the development of Nuffield Health’s strategy and policies, providing, on an ad hoc basis, advice on clinical best practice, new technology and procedures, complaints, peer review and also giving specialty-specific expert advice where needed. Advice and requests are coordinated by a central team to ensure the appropriate and fair rotation through the membership of the EAG.
The EAG is constituted from members of Nuffield Health Hospitals’ Medical Societies nominated by peers and hospital management. Members are invited to join the EAG by our Medical Director, Mahmood Shafi.
Where advisory services are requested from and provided to Nuffield Health by EAG consultant members, they are paid a day rate of £1,000 or an hourly rate of £150 plus reasonable expenses incurred.
There are no members of the National EAG from the Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells hospital.
Paid Advisory Roles
To support delivery of clinical services in the hospital, the following consultants hold a paid advisory role for Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells hospital:
- Mr Mohammad Akbar Khan is paid £8,000 per annum for chairing the hospital infection prevention committee and providing related advisory services.
Nuffield Health Tunbridge Wells Hospital is proud to support medical professionals in their pursuit of continuing professional education. The Hospital’s Medical Society approves grants, made from Nuffield Health resources, in order to advance and ensure clinical safety through consultant attendance at relevant educational conferences and events.
Educational Grants have been awarded to 6 consultants at this hospital to date.
Dr Taher Mahmud has been awarded an educational grant to attend American Society for Bone and Mineral research meeting.
Mr Ahmed Hamouda has been awarded an educational grant to attend an Advanced Bariatric Course, IRCAD.
Miss Sarah Flint has been awarded an educational grant to attend the NICE Menopause Society 26th Annual Conference.
Mr James Nicholl has been awarded an educational grant to attend the Wrightington Elbow Symposium.
Low value services provided to our Consultant partners at this hospital include:
- Discounted gym membership
- Free parking (subject to availability)
- General corporate hospitality
- General hospital marketing activity
- General services provided to ensure clinical safety
- In-house training
- Insurance or indemnity cover in respect of the treatment of national health service patients
- Mandatory training
- Mini-consultations at patient information events
- Operational services such as patient admission, administrative services and billing
- Patient notes archiving
- Stationery and printing facilities
- Subsidised meals
- Tea, coffee and other soft beverages
Further useful outcome statistics for this hospital can be seen on the Private Healthcare Information Network website at www.phin.org.uk
- Professor Ansari - Owns a Hrt3 Heidelberg Engineering, Retinal Scanner used in clinic, no fee arrangements
- Jay Jindal - Owns equipment used during the audiology clinic, includes TDH Headset, INS Phone, Bone conductor trans, Loop Back tester, Chartr EP 200 Vemp Monit Kit, no fee arrangements
The Data Processing Agreement governing the processing of any personal data in connection with the provision of administrative support services and/or medical records storage by the Hospital for consultants can be accessed here.
Nuffield - Consultant Data Processing Agreement