At Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital, our expert vascular surgeons have many years' experience providing effective foam sclerotherapy treatment for varicose veins.
Why choose Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital for my foam sclerotherapy treatment?
Our modern hospital in Leeds allows us to offer the highest standards of treatment and care. Your dedicated varicose vein specialist consultant will be with you throughout your foam sclerotherapy treatment.
As a day patient, you'll be given a private bedroom to rest in before and after your varicose vein procedure. Family and friends are welcome to visit you - we have free parking for private patients, a Costa Coffee and city view restaurant on-site. Our in-house pharmacy service is also useful if you need to take any medicine home with you.
If you suffer from bulging varicose veins please get in touch with our Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital experts today to discuss a fast and effective solution.
What are varicose veins?
- Varicose veins are enlarged, sometimes twisted veins that most often develop in the leg. They can be hereditary.
- They can be worse during or after pregnancy or if you are overweight/obese.
- While they can be uncomfortable and unsightly, they don’t usually cause any serious health problems.
Veins carry blood to the heart. Along the length of all veins are valves, which only let the blood flow in one direction. The valves in the legs have to work harder to pump the blood that extra distance and problems occur when these valves become weak and don’t close properly. The blood flows backwards and pools in the veins. This causes the valves to weaken under the pressure and become enlarged and bulging in appearance - what we call varicose veins.
There are a number of treatments for varicose veins. If you continue to have problems with your varicose veins your consultant in Leeds may recommend foam sclerotherapy. Other popular treatment options include endovenous laser treatment and varicose vein stripping.
What happens during and after foam sclerotherapy?
- Foam sclerotherapy is normally carried out under local anaesthetic
- You will be able to go home the same day as your treatment
- A solution is mixed with air creating a foam
- Your surgeon will inject this foam into the affected vein
- If your vein is very deep, your surgeon may use ultrasound to guide the injection into the correct area
- The foam begins to react immediately with the vein wall
- It causes inflammation within the vein and pushes out any blood in the area
- The walls of the vein become become sticky and eventually close off the vein
- Over several weeks or months your varicose vein will shrink and disappear
- Immediately after the injection our nursing team will apply a pressure bandage to your leg. This is to ensure the walls of the vein are held together and prevents blood from seeping back into the vein.
- You will need to keep any pressure bandages in place for 12 - 24 hours following your procedure
- You will also need to wear compression stockings for 3 - 4 weeks
- Your leg may be sore for a few days following foam sclerotherapy. Your consultant will advise on pain relief.
- You should remain mobile during your recovery - walking each day
- Try to avoid long periods of standing, kneeling, squatting, bending or strenuous exercise for 4 - 6 weeks
- Elevate your leg when sitting for any length of time.
Specific complications from foam sclerotherapy
While treatment for varicose veins is generally very successful, as with all procedures there can be complications. These include:
- Discolouration of the skin
- Lumps under the skin
- Inflammation across the vein site
- Temporary vision problems
- Injections need to be repeated.
- Our clinical team will be available to discuss any concerns that you have before, during or after your procedure.
2 Leighton Street, Leeds, LS1 3EB
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more