Mr. Patrick Coughlin qualified from the University of Leeds in 1997 and undertook his basic and higher surgical training in the Yorkshire Deanery. Endovascular training was obtained as an overseas fellow at Fremantle Hospital in Perth and as a BSET fellow at St Georges Hospital, London in 2009.
He was appointed as a Consultant in Vascular/Endovascular Surgery at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge in 2011.
He had extensive experience in providing a comprehensive vascular service including the management of both arterial and venous disease. Specifically he is able to provide the latest minimally invasive technqiues to treat varicose veins. He delivers the highest clinical principles to guide a personalised treatment plan.
He has a strong interest in teaching / training being a member of Eastern Deanery Vascular Surgery Training Committee as well as being the convenor of a number of cadaveric based training courses. He is also an examiner for the European Board Vascular Surgery examination and is a committee member for the British Society of Endovascular Therapy.
He is a keen sportsman, still playing regular football (veterans) and cricket to a competitive level every weekend. He is a playing member of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) having represented the club in a almost a hundred games. He is an avid skier and enjoys long distance running to keep fit.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Patrick Coughlin at Nuffield Health
- Foam sclerotherapy for varicose veins
- Endovascular treatment
- Endovenous laser treatment for varicose veins
- AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm)
- Varicose vein stripping
- Arterial Surgery
Mr Coughlin also has a strong interest in clinical and translational research. His research is focused upon the management of lower limb peripheral arterial disease. Research themes include:
- Translational imaging based research to identify both patients at risk of developing arterial disease in the legs and those in whom arterial disease returns after treatment. The aim is to potentially help guide optimal treatment modalities in this group of patients.
- Identifying ways in which we can provide optimal care to older patients with vascular related pathologies
His work is funded by the British Heart Foundation, the Royal College of Surgeons of England, the BUPA foundation and the Dunhill Medical Trust. He has published widely in numerous high impact peer review journals.
- The Vascular Society
- The British Society of Endovascular Therapy
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant vascular and endovascular surgeon at LTHT
Mr Patrick Coughlin does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Patrick Coughlin does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Patrick Coughlin does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.